santomkd

UNAPPROVED REFUND

Hi everyone, i've been on UpWork for a while now, and this happened today for the first time since i'm on UpWork.
i've done a job for a client, and after a week or so, i got an email saying that i've refunded the client, and i never approved a refund of any kind ever. all that the email said was: '' You refunded $xxx.00 to (client's name), and Thank you at the end of the email. It really bothers me because there is no explanation... so if anyone had this issue before, please help... Thank you up front

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PS - I believe I've identified the client. The 4 hours, right?

The client's payment method now shows as unverified, a pretty good sign that their payment method declined the charge, so my above guess is likely right.

You worked with manual time not using the tracker, right?

NEVER do that with a "high risk" client such as that one.

Do contact the client if they will still respond to you, they can fix this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r

Chances are your client failed to pay Upwork and your hours did not qualify for hourly protection (manual time / no work memo / inadequate work memo / low activity / non work related screenshots etc)

So you didn't strictly speaking refund the client, the client failed to pay Upwork and Upwork declined to pay you out of their own pocket because your work diary didn't qualify you for that.

Have you spoken to the client?

PS - I believe I've identified the client. The 4 hours, right?

The client's payment method now shows as unverified, a pretty good sign that their payment method declined the charge, so my above guess is likely right.

You worked with manual time not using the tracker, right?

NEVER do that with a "high risk" client such as that one.

Do contact the client if they will still respond to you, they can fix this.

In addition to what Petra wrote, 'Needs to hire 5 Freelancers' combined with unverified payment method is a risky job to take.

Exactly, Petra R. I submitted hours manually because the client said he will immediately pay. And now i've tried to contact the client but, yeah that's right: no response whatsoever. And i don't care about the money now, i'm just pissed off because it was one of the worst clients i've worked with ever, and they ended up with loads of free work from me.

@Edin S wrote:
Exactly, Petra R. I submitted hours manually because the client said he will immediately pay. And now i've tried to contact the client but, yeah that's right: no response whatsoever. And i don't care about the money now, i'm just pissed off because it was one of the worst clients i've worked with ever, and they ended up with loads of free work from me.

Well, look at the bright side: You can close the contract and never have to deal with the ************ again, and it will not affect your Job Success Score because the contracts with suspended clients are suspended....

Trust in Karma, and move on. I would be ****** off as well but really life's too short to cry over spilt milk and there are great clients out there just waiting to work with you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Edin S wrote:

I would care about the money I have lost and would not just let him go away with this. This was fraud. Moreover, he has hired two other freelancers for other work who will not be paid as well. You should report the client to Upwork so that he cannot continue his fraud. Wasn't there a warning message when you started to work on this contract telling you that the payment method was not verified?