Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPWORK IS NOW FRUSTRATING

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 31

@Steve Y wrote:

Do you think that it is a good idea to give UpWork my banking account numbers to verify my location?

No.

I didn't have a problem with entering bank account information, but since you clearly don't trust Upwork it seems obvious that you should not give them any sensitive information, especially financial information.

amurigi
Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
BEST ANSWER
12 of 31

Hi Sidney,

I do not think this has to do with connects, but more to do with the possibility that very few freelancers based out of Europe and the US are getting hired on Upwork. I am also quite frustrated with this platform. When Upwork was oDesk, I had no problems getting contracts, but since it became Upwork, I hardly get any contracts. I have good ratings, great client feedback and yet I am still struggling to land a job. I never apply for low paying jobs, as that is such a waste of time, but I also do not charge very high rates. I also noticed that many of the clients are hardly hiring. I have applied for so many jobs and everytime I go back to see the progress, I find that the client is not even intervewing anyone and it has been over three weeks or more. I am a writer and I am not sure if freelancers in other categories are experiencing the same thing, but Upwork needs to take a keen look at clients. We cannot keep applying for jobs when clients are not even bothering to hire. 

View solution in original post

siydmzito
Sidney M Member Since: Jan 20, 2014
13 of 31

Exactly my point, you just hit the nail on the head. Most of the other guys obviously don`t have a clue what we`ve going through, that is why their responses seem so clueless. You`re definitely right when you say that it was much easier to get hired during the Odesk days.

I have great feedback with a 95% job success score but somehow getting hired is a problem these days!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 31

@Sidney M wrote:

Exactly my point, you just hit the nail on the head. Most of the other guys obviously don`t have a clue what we`ve going through, that is why their responses seem so clueless. You`re definitely right when you say that it was much easier to get hired during the Odesk days.

I have great feedback with a 95% job success score but somehow getting hired is a problem these days!

The key point you seem to be missnig is that if the "other guys" don't have a clue as to what you're going through, that means the "other guys" are still getting hired. That means it isn't harder to get hired now, but harder for YOU to get hired now. The smart response is not to call the successful people clueless, but to look at what they're doing that you're not that allows them to continue winning contracts while you're floundering.

ETA: Sidney, "versatile" is probably the worst thing you can say about yourself as a writer. It translates in many clients' minds to "expert at nothing."

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
15 of 31

@Sidney M wrote:

We're in the same category.

Writing is an over saturated market.

I'm an expert in my field of writing, solid JSS, and I've worked with quite the list of enterprise clients on Upwork (as well as several big names off of the platform). I've advanced degrees and certifications in more fields than most writers here, but that isn't consistently enough for a majority of clients.

They want experts at very low $$$. I have no problem with that aspect -- after all, Upwork is a global marketplace. 

As such, the competition is stiff (I know -- I'm understating) even for seasoned well-reviewed writers. Is it Upwork's "fault"? Or is this a supply and demand issue?

There is an overabundance of highly educated writers who onboard to Upwork at low rates (lower than mine -- which I know are on the high end). Whom is a client going to choose? Someone with a Master's Degree in English, Communications or Journalism at $25 per hour or $50 per article? Or someone who may have great reviews on Upwork, but doesn't quite have the same publishing credentials, etc. at a lower rate? 

Clients are seeking the highest quality for the absolute lowest price points (I'm sure we're all aware of this).

When you have bored housewives and retired Boomers onboarding who have the higher creds and still reasonable rates (ok, yes, I understand "reasonable" depends on the client; and I don't mean any of this in a derogatory way -- I've continually performed research analyzing the who, what, where, why, and when of the writer's section), you're going to see the competition heat up. 

That's just the nature of the marketplace (so, no, I'm not clueless -- I pulled the data as any good data scientist would do). 

siydmzito
16 of 31

You have a valid point

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
17 of 31

@Sidney M wrote:

I agree that decent clients seem to be scarce when compared to oDesk days, but more connects is not going to help this problem, and saying that African freelancers need more connects is ridiculous.

Also, I'm sure a lot of clients don't hire you because you can't claim to be a native English speaker with an Overview like that. How can you say "all my content is free of grammatical and spelling mistakes" when your profile says otherwise?

siydmzito
18 of 31

Your point exactly Ms Native??????

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
19 of 31

@Sidney M wrote:

Your point exactly Ms Native??????

My point is that lying on your profile is not the way to a potential client's heart.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 31

@Sidney M wrote:

Exactly my point, you just hit the nail on the head. Most of the other guys obviously don`t have a clue what we`ve going through,

I had a look at your profile and your portfolio Sydney. Considering how poorly written your profile overview is and your unprofessional profile photo, it's no surprise that you are struggling.

I'm going to be very blunt here Sydney, you are in a totally crowded industry: the low-end catch-all content production. The clients who hire in this specific industry seek the cheapest rates possible and no, they don't hire US or EU providers, they depend on cheap labor.

Sydney, being a talented writer is not given to everyone and only those who have it will see great success on Upwork. This has absolutely nothing to do with your location or the color of your skin. Nor the amount of connects that you have.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS