Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

UPWORK IS NOW FRUSTRATING

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
21 of 31

@Anne M wrote:

 

I do not think this has to do with connects, but more to do with the possibility that very few freelancers based out of Europe and the US are getting hired on Upwork.


Anne,

That is a quite unlikely possibility. I'm all but certain that most of the client money is from the US, and most of it goes to US contractors.

 

Best,

MM

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 31

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Anne M wrote:

 

I do not think this has to do with connects, but more to do with the possibility that very few freelancers based out of Europe and the US are getting hired on Upwork.


Anne,

That is a quite unlikely possibility. I'm all but certain that most of the client money is from the US, and most of it goes to US contractors.

 

Best,

MM


This would be news to Upwork, since they just started testing a feature that allows US clients to specify only US based freelancers.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 31
I'm just following the money, John. Yes, it's a speculation. It's based on data from Upwork's erstwhile closest competitor. One doesn't have to specify a contractor from the US to hire one—including preferentially.
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
24 of 31

@John K wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Anne M wrote:

 

I do not think this has to do with connects, but more to do with the possibility that very few freelancers based out of Europe and the US are getting hired on Upwork.


Anne,

That is a quite unlikely possibility. I'm all but certain that most of the client money is from the US, and most of it goes to US contractors.

 

Best,

MM


This would be news to Upwork, since they just started testing a feature that allows US clients to specify only US based freelancers.


 This seems to me more to argue for Michael's assumption than against it. US clients routinely seeking US freelancers would be a good reason to give them a tool to make that easier.

eloddo
Ace Contributor
Emanuela L Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
25 of 31

@Anne M wrote:

Hi Sidney,

 

I do not think this has to do with connects, but more to do with the possibility that very few freelancers based out of Europe and the US are getting hired on Upwork. I am also quite frustrated with this platform. When Upwork was oDesk, I had no problems getting contracts, but since it became Upwork, I hardly get any contracts. I have good ratings, great client feedback and yet I am still struggling to land a job. I never apply for low paying jobs, as that is such a waste of time, but I also do not charge very high rates. I also noticed that many of the clients are hardly hiring. I have applied for so many jobs and everytime I go back to see the progress, I find that the client is not even intervewing anyone and it has been over three weeks or more. I am a writer and I am not sure if freelancers in other categories are experiencing the same thing, but Upwork needs to take a keen look at clients. We cannot keep applying for jobs when clients are not even bothering to hire. 



That's a good point, Anne. I also applied (or been invited) for many jobs and exactly like you, every time I go back to see the progress, I find that the client is not even interviewing anyone and at the job expires with no hires and interviews.

 

In my opinion, Upwork should take a look at the clients, by constantly checking the client activity for this job.

 

If the job expires with no hires or even interviews, for a freelancer is a waist of connections (at least 2) maybe we should be refunded in these case. or, at least Upwork should have a reasonable explanation by the client for that. 

 

To be sincere I don't think Upwork watches over the client activity and the job progress once the job is posted. 

 

Monitoring clients activity would be a great improvement for Upwork and a great improvement for freelancers work quality.

 

I think that with 20% of fees you take on our earnings, freelancers should have more "protection" by you in this sense. 

 

 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
26 of 31

@Emanuela L wrote:

That's a good point, Anne. I also applied (or been invited) for many jobs and exactly like you, every time I go back to see the progress, I find that the client is not even interviewing anyone and at the job expires with no hires and interviews.

 

In my opinion, Upwork should take a look at the clients, by constantly checking the client activity for this job.

 

And then what? Go to their houses and force them at gunpoint to hire someone, even though they didn't find a candidate they were interested in or had better luck on a different site?

 

If the job expires with no hires or even interviews, for a freelancer is a waist of connections (at least 2) maybe we should be refunded in these case. or, at least Upwork should have a reasonable explanation by the client for that. 

 

When you send out a resume in the real world, do you expect to be reimbursed for your stamps and envelope if the employer doesn't hire someone within a certain time frame?

 

To be sincere I don't think Upwork watches over the client activity and the job progress once the job is posted. 

 

You are correct. There is no reason to, as jobs that have no activity for 30 days close automatically.

 

Monitoring clients activity would be a great improvement for Upwork and a great improvement for freelancers work quality.

 

What is it that you would have them do?

 

I think that with 20% of fees you take on our earnings, freelancers should have more "protection" by you in this sense. 

 

Protection from not being hired? Or from clients hiring elsewhere? Or from clients putting a project on hold? Or...?

 

 


 

eloddo
Ace Contributor
Emanuela L Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
27 of 31

@Tiffany S wrote:

 

And then what? Go to their houses and force them at gunpoint to hire someone, even though they didn't find a candidate they were interested in or had better luck on a different site?

 

No guns are necessary Man Very Happy,  just monitorning the clients activity and in case of no statisfatory explanation by them, refund the freelancer for the connection they wasted.

 

When you send out a resume in the real world, do you expect to be reimbursed for your stamps and envelope if the employer doesn't hire someone within a certain time frame?

 

I always send resumed via email or LinkedIn, so no stamps or connnections are required Woman Wink

 

You are correct. There is no reason to, as jobs that have no activity for 30 days close automatically.

 

What is it that you would have them do?

 

As I already wrote "just monitorning the clients activity and in case of no statisfatory explanation by them, refund the freelancer for the connection they wasted" 

 

I think that with 20% of fees you take on our earnings, freelancers should have more "protection" by you in this sense. 

 

Protection from not being hired? Or from clients hiring elsewhere? Or from clients putting a project on hold? Or...?

 Protection from waisting our free connection in a useful way

 

Have a good day Smiley Wink

 


 


 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
28 of 31

I wonder if there is a difference in perspective between freelancers who have experience performing their own marketing efforts and those who have always relied on a platform. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
29 of 31

@Tonya P wrote:

I wonder if there is a difference in perspective between freelancers who have experience performing their own marketing efforts and those who have always relied on a platform. 


 Yes!

 

It always seems to be young freelancers or those who are just dipping their toes in the water after working B&M who are pretty sure Upwork isn't actually providing them anything worth the fees.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
30 of 31

+ 2 to Tonya's thnking.  

 

Marketing your skills is a time consuming and not cheap propostion esp. when looked at from hourly billing rates. Upwork, like other platforms, bear the cost of marketing en masse. The cost of writing a proposal either in time or connects is minimal when put into perspective.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS