🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: *URGENT* How to get out of a contract wit...
Page options
rockstarz
Community Member

*URGENT* How to get out of a contract without getting bad rating.

Hello, 

I have started a contract today, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the client, we just REALLY don't see eye to eye in terms of creative direction.

I have provided multiple versions of the requested logo, but nothing really worked.

I happily forfeit the time and efforts, I would NEVER charge someone for something they don't love.

I just want to know how can I get out of this situation without getting hurt even more by receiving bad review etc.?

I have told the client straight forward (after getting rejected time after time) - Maybe I am not the right fit for the project.

I have built my way on UpWork with flawless reviews, I am no amateur, I have been in this industry and worked with the most prestigious brands in the world. I would absolutely HATE getting a bad review after forfeiting my time and efforts.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you refund all money earned from the contract, then it will be impossible for any rating to appear on your public profile page. The job will not show up in your work history at all.

The private feedback will still have an impact on your JSS, and having a zero-pay contract is regarded as negative for JSS. But there will be zero public feedback and no public bad rating.

Is it always possible to get out of a contract without getting ANY kind of bad rating, including private feedback or any negative impact to JSS?

Not necessarily.

Upwork's JSS system is designed to penalize a freelancer's JSS for things that Upwork regards as indicators of bad outcomes for clients.

So you can not ALWAYS get out of a contract with a GUARANTEE of nothing negative happening to your JSS.

Upwork really would prefer that you work things out with clients.

If you're not the right person for a project, there is nothing wrong with that!

Just be honest and upfront with the client. Work WITH THE CLIENT. The client will appreciate that.

The client DOES NOT CARE if you - personally - finish the project. The client cares about his project. If you help the client achieve her goals - even if that means helping them understand that you're the wrong person for this job, but somebody else would be the right person - then that is a GOOD THING, and the client's feedback to you will reflect this.

kat303
Community Member

Avi V wrote:

Hello, 

I have started a contract today, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the client, we just REALLY don't see eye to eye in terms of creative direction.

I have provided multiple versions of the requested logo, but nothing really worked.

I happily forfeit the time and efforts, I would NEVER charge someone for something they don't love.

I just want to know how can I get out of this situation without getting hurt even more by receiving bad review etc.?

I have told the client straight forward (after getting rejected time after time) - Maybe I am not the right fit for the project.

I have built my way on UpWork with flawless reviews, I am no amateur, I have been in this industry and worked with the most prestigious brands in the world. I would absolutely HATE getting a bad review after forfeiting my time and efforts.

If you refund what's in escrow that will count as a job with no earnings. And a job with no earnings will affect your JSS.If you receive some earnings then your JSS won't be affected, but you risk getting bad feedback, especially private.  I don't know if you are top rated but if you are there's a "perk" you can use to delete both the public and private feedback. IMO your best choice, if you're top rated, is to get some compensation for this job and then use your perk to delete any bad feedback you may (or may not) get. 

There has been an "upswing" of clients using endless edits in the hope that a freelancer will just get tired of fixing the work over and over and just refund the funds in escrow. If that happens, the client will get their work for free. There are also clients who, after receiving the work, all of a sudden say it's not what they want.  It's getting to the point where a freelancer doesn't know if the client is trying to get free work or truly means it when they say it's not what they want. 

re: "There has been an 'upswing' of clients using endless edits in the hope that a freelancer will just get tired of fixing the work over and over and just refund the funds in escrow. If that happens, the client will get their work for free. There are also clients who, after receiving the work, all of a sudden say it's not what they want. It's getting to the point where a freelancer doesn't know if the client is trying to get free work or truly means it when they say it's not what they want."

A small percentage of bad clients could ruin things for everybody.

What if a small percentage of bad clients cause such a big problem by asking for refunds purely as a way to get free work... that Upwork makes changes to eliminate or severely restrict refunds?

Or what if these bad clients simply cause freelancers in general to reject requests for refunds, because we assume that is what is going on... clients are asking purely to get work for free.

So it is like the "boy who cried wolf." The "fake refund request clients" could lead to freelancers no longer thinking that ANY request for a refund is valid. So we treat ALL clients who request refunds as if they are simply bad clients and bad people who are trying to steal freelancers' time and get work for free.

petra_r
Community Member

Kathy T wrote:

There has been an "upswing" of clients using endless edits in the hope that a freelancer will just get tired of fixing the work over and over and just refund the funds in escrow. If that happens, the client will get their work for free.

Not strictly speaking, as the work was not paid for, hence it does not belong to the client at all.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths