🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » URGENT: Old client offered a new job at a ver...
Page options
ana_tanevska
Community Member

URGENT: Old client offered a new job at a very low rate

Hello UpWork Community!

I just started working at UpWork and so far I've had 4 jobs. One of the 4 jobs started as answering 20 Quora questions at a $10/h with a weekly limit of 1 hour. Three weeks later the client wanted me to make Canva posts and post them on Pinterest. I was asked to answer 1 question and make (post) 1 Canva post to Pinterest a day. The rate stayed the same $10/h with the same limit of 1 hour/week. He now proposed adding a new workload: managing his social media (twitter, pinterest, instagram, facebook) by posting photos daily, talking to writers, doing a plagiarism check and approving their articles, posting the articles to the website daily with 2 Canva photos, downloading videos and posting them to the website 2/day, making a Canva Pinterest post for the new article AND keeping the same 1 answer + 1 pinterest a day. For the entire job he proposed increasing the weekly time limit to 2 hours a week which brings the total of $20/week. 

Since I am new to working on UpWork, I would appreciate any advice. I don't want him to leave a bad review for the work I've done so far but at the same time I don't want to do all that work basically for free. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Tell the client how many hours it would take to do all of the specified tasks. You might also let him know which things from his list you could accomplish in two hours/week. Then it's his choice. If he's reasonable, the two of you can reach an agreement. If he's absolutely not willing to pay fairly, don't let yourself be held hostage by the threat of bad feedback. You can recover from one bad review much more easily than you can recover from getting mired in a contract with ridiculously low compensation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hodgesh
Community Member

Tell the client that the work will take more than two hours per week, then ask for the weekly limit to be increased.

pudingstudio
Community Member

It's their (client) prerogative. As is yours to set YOUR price.

You don't have to work for the price you're not happy with. Nor should you.

If you're interested in the work your client proposed, communicate your concerns regarding the price with him.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Tell the client how many hours it would take to do all of the specified tasks. You might also let him know which things from his list you could accomplish in two hours/week. Then it's his choice. If he's reasonable, the two of you can reach an agreement. If he's absolutely not willing to pay fairly, don't let yourself be held hostage by the threat of bad feedback. You can recover from one bad review much more easily than you can recover from getting mired in a contract with ridiculously low compensation.

This is some really good advice, thank you so much. I was so worried about the bad review that I didn't stop to think about what was more important, stuck working at a very low rate or getting a bad review. 

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

And it's quite ironic that he pays you so low to write fake reviews and comments for his business. lol.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members