cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT : Should I delete this block of time from Upwork diary?

satyasivani
Satya Sivani K Member Since: Mar 1, 2015
1 of 12

Hi,

I have started working for my first ever hourly contract last Tuesday and today while reviewing my work diary, I found that the first 'time blocks' of many of my work sessions are with low activity scores - Not because I wasn't active, but because I started in the second half(second five minutes ) of the ten-minute slot(I think that's the reason, correct me if I am wrong).

work diary screen shot.jpg

For the above time block, events are 0 keyboard and 21 mouse clicks in that last one minute.

Since this is my first week with my new client, I am concerned about these low activity time blocks as they might leave a bad impression on me. So, what should I do? Please help ASAP as, if necessary, I have to delete those blocks from my work diary before Monday noon(UTC). 

Also tell me what is the difference between the options 'Delete all information including screenshot, memo, window title, activity and webcam photo'  and  'Delete webcam photos only'.

Thanks for your support in advance, 

Sivani 

Sivani
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

I usually start at the beginning of any time segment, to avoid this kind of thing. In that screenshot you clearly started at 11.59...

Personally I would delete it.

satyasivani
Satya Sivani K Member Since: Mar 1, 2015
3 of 12

Hi,  

Sorry for a delayed reply. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I too realised that if I care about my time, the client also cares about his money.

The client might only think that I charged him without working, even though these low activity time blocks happened totally without my knowledge. That's why I have deleted 1 hour 20 mins from my last week's work diary. 

lesson learnt: start working only at the beginning of a time segment.

Thank you.

Sivani
fmkellerman
Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
4 of 12

Perhaps you started later because you were familiarizing yourself with the project? Otherwise I can't think of any reason you would.

I start the second I get the time tracker going. If I have to do any research/proofreading/other things which produce fewer clicks, they still show up as screen shots showing me being productive, even if there are fewer clicks during those times.

It's a tricky one, I find the time tracker skips time. I often have to ask the client to either allow manual time or to add extra hours, as it will often not register time spent proofreading, for example, since it thinks that I am inactive.

mherzee
mercy o Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
5 of 12

You hit on the reason I only use manual times.  Thinking and formulating can't be scored by the app and worst of all will be scored poorly.  I'm not going to give away hours of effort just because it didn't involve keystrokes.  

fmkellerman
Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
6 of 12

Exactly. I tend to only use tracking with clients I have worked with before, then let them know the added hours, or when it's a very simple translation which I don't need to do any research for. Also - does the app take more frequent screen grabs if you click around? I find if I take a - literally - 5 second break to answer another message, it snaps more shots.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
7 of 12

That would depend on how long I have been working with the client and the nature of the work.

When I am just scrolling through the document proofing without changes (because none were called for), the tracker shows low activity.

For long-term clients, I just ignore the relatively inactive slots. I know they understand and aren’t going to split hairs.

For a new client, I delete the relatively inactive time segment.

"Certa bonum certamen"
mherzee
mercy o Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
8 of 12

We have a similar policy - Only charge for work done.  

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 12

@Fanny K wrote:

Also - does the app take more frequent screen grabs if you click around? I find if I take a - literally - 5 second break to answer another message, it snaps more shots.

No it does not.

The hour is divided into 6 segments -  from XX.10 to XX.20, XX.20 to XX.30, XX.30 to XX.40, XX.40 to XX.50, XX.50 to XX.00 and in each segment there is only one screenshot.

So say you work from 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock, there will be

one screenshot between 10.00 and 10.10

one screenshot between 10.10 and 10.20

one screenshot between 10.20 and 10.30

one screenshot between 10.30 and 10.40

one screenshot between 10.40 and 10.50

one screenshot between 10.50 and 11.00

never more. Just one, at some random time within each segment, provided there was activity within that segment.

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 12

@mercy o wrote:

You hit on the reason I only use manual times. 

That's just great until the  day your client disputes something or their payment method fails or there is a chargeback and you lose every single penny earned that week and beyond....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS