🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: US Citizen Studying Aborad
Page options
elchoi7
Community Member

US Citizen Studying Aborad

Hey everyone,

New to Upwork as well as the forum. I haven’t done any jobs yet as I’m still trying to get all the information before doing so. That being said, I have a question on the tax portion when doing Upwork jobs. Currently, I’m a student studying abroad in the Eu, but hoping to do some online freelance writing work while I study. My question is, since I will be studying in the EU, how will taxes be for me as an international student? I understand there is the income and self-employment tax, is there any other taxes that I need to look into or is there anything preventing me from doing any freelance work? Would I have to pay taxes for the US as well as the EU country that I will be studying in even though I currently do not have any other jobs? Thanks in advance! 

7 REPLIES 7
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Upwork isn't going to address your tax situation.  You can check with the local US Consulate which generally will have an IRS office.  Also check the local tax authorities where you live.

Also, your profile must show where you are living abroad.

I have a similar question.
We are living abroad becasue my husband is studying here, but my permanant address is in the US

My time zone isnt USA

What do I do?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Devora,

When a freelancer is relocating for a longer period of time they will need to update their address to reflect their new location.
If a freelancer is traveling for a short period of time, there's no need to change or update the address. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Devora,

When a freelancer is relocating for a longer period of time they will need to update their address to reflect their new location.
If a freelancer is traveling for a short period of time, there's no need to change or update the address. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

I have a similar quesiton too, probably I have to live in the USA for 1 month (from Europe). Do I need to update my address?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roberto, 

Since you are going to be away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. 

Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are traveling to. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about this.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have no issue including my address as my current one!!

Just for money and stuff my address is my US address

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members