🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » UW takes 25% instead 20%?
Page options
growmyretail
Community Member

UW takes 25% instead 20%?

So I don't do much FL anymore, only for older contracts and clients at my old rates.

Now I just saw that UW takes 25%? instead of 20% Wtf?

I mean I only billed one hour to a client this week. I did the math, over and over again. and UW clearly takes 25% instead of 20%
Now I want UW to backtrack 30K of past earnings in the last months for me, so I can see where they added an additional 5% since I never spotted this.

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Pieter B wrote:

So I don't do much FL anymore, only for older contracts and clients at my old rates.

Now I just saw that UW takes 25%? instead of 20% Wtf?

I mean I only billed one hour to a client this week. I did the math, over and over again. and UW clearly takes 25% instead of 20%
Now I want UW to backtrack 30K of past earnings in the last months for me, so I can see where they added an additional 5% since I never spotted this.

Look up your transaction history, it's all there. I doubt that they did that, though. Maybe you are confused about VAT, the currency conversion or you bought connects. 

NikolaS

Hi Pieter,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that I checked and it looks like everything works as designed. You were charged 20% service fee. We will automatically apply the lower service fee if our system detects that your total billings with a client have exceeded a fee threshold. You can verify this by checking the service fee invoice breakdown in your Transaction History.

You can find more information in this help article.

It looks like you were also charged for VAT as Martina already suggested. Feel free to check your Transaction History page for more information. Upwork charges VAT to freelancers and agencies in certain countries unless specific exemption requirements are met. Upwork is required to collect this tax and pay it to the appropriate government agency. On this page you can find more information about VAT. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
researchediting
Community Member

Client agrees to pay $100. Upwork takes 20% = $20.

That's a one-way calculation. If you ask "how does Upwork's cut ($20) compare to the $80 net I received?" you'll arrive at 25%. That's not how it works.

Upwork's $20 cut is 20% of $100. Whatever fraction of your net earnings it may be is a meaningless figure.

Others have suggested different reasons for any discrepancy. This is the first that comes to my mind.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members