🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Uhm... "Your account has been suspended. ...
Page options
jefvandegraaf
Community Member

Uhm... "Your account has been suspended. Please contact customer support."

I'm at a loss for words. 

Woke up this morning to see the following message in my account:

"Your account has been suspended. Please contact customer support."

Up until this point, I've followed Upwork's ToS completely. I've never taken a client off this platform and whenever the occasional client suggests it, I firmly tell them that we'll proceed with our relationship on Upwork. No more questions, bud.

Now, my only thought is, my Upwork account is "Canadian," I'm physically located in Surabaya, Indonesia, and I occasionally use a VPN to access the internet. Just a couple days ago, I tried setting up the 2FA with my Indonesian phone number and it triggered errors. 

Trying to get this resolved, I brought it to the attention of Upwork's support and... well... here I am now... 

I have a suspended account, an offer waiting to be accepted, and a few more projects pending in the pipeline. 

Is this Upwork's way of saying, "Jef, thanks, but it's time for us to say goodbye?"

Or, is this a security issue due to my internet usage and Upwork's algorithms/security judgment?

Any thoughts? Words of assurance? Fertilizer for my fears? 

😄
3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jef,

Regarding your location, please keep in mind that your Upwork location needs to reflect your current location if you`re relocating on a longer period of time. Presenting misleading information on your profile is a violation of our TOS. 

Regarding your account, I can see that you have followed up on your ticket with number 27322101. Our team will assist you further as soon as possible. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Can you provide where this is stated in the ToS?

I've had a previous discussion with an Upwork support member in the past regarding my location. I mentioned I was overseas working, however, my clients were mostly from N. America and Europe. They advised to keep the location the same. 

Also, from a legal standpoint, my "home" address is my Canadian address. I'm often traveling from country to country every 1 or 2 months. I'm one of the "digital nomads". 

Does this, I have to change my location on my account each time I relocate to a new country? 

Hi Jef,

I`m sorry about the confusion and the misunderstanding. 
I would like to clarify that if you`re relocating for a longer period of time your location will need to reflect the location you`ll be moving to. 
Since you`re traveling there's no need to update your location on your profile. 
If something is still confusing or you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths