🐈
» Forums » Support » Uk bank sort code not recognised
Page options
8d5c5032
Community Member

Unable to add local bank account

Hi,

I am a freelancer from Canada. I can't enter my local bank information to get paid. When I try to enter the institution number and transit number, it didn't gave me the option to go to next page. I checked my bank information for many times, and I am pretty sure everything is right! Please help me to set-up my payment detail. 

Thanks,

Ruiyu

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gulnihal,

We’ve designed the process of Adding a Direct to Local Bank payment method to be as straightforward as possible. To add your bank account: 

1. Go to Settings  Get Paid
  2. Click Add Method
  3. Click the Set Up button for your chosen method
  4. Enter your bank account details, including bank codes
  5. Choose a payment schedule and click Next

Important things to know:

• For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three days.
  • Check that the name on your bank account matches your verified name on Upwork. If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, please contact support to resolve the issue or add a new payment method.
  • You should also contact your bank if you're not sure you have the correct information, or if you received an error when you tried to enter it into our system.
  • Upwork charges $0.99 per Direct to Local Bank withdrawal. Any additional restrictions, timing regulations, and fees vary depending on your bank.
  • Be sure that you enter your bank information, including bank codes, correctly. We want you to get your money on schedule and any errors could result in a failed transfer or delay. If you've exceeded the character limit on the Name on Account field, please contact your bank to get an appropriate abbreviation.
    • Since some banks aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the bank code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

643 REPLIES 643

Hi Alexander,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I am with TIDE and my bank sort code doesn't work. 

I dont have a branch address as this is an online bank. 

Please can this be amended. 

Hi Matt,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your bank code. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am also unable to sign up to the get paid option using a Starling account. If you could open a support ticket for me also that would be great

Hi Jamie,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Did you get a resolution to this? 

I am experiencing the same issue with Tide Business bank

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ash,

Please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Setting up my bank account but my sort code is not recognised

Hi Gemmalyn,

Please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi can someone help me set up my Monzo bank account as the sort code isn't recognised.

Hi Stuart,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi

I have a UK bank account and my sort code is not recognized, can someone help me with this problem?

Thank you

Hi Tim,

Please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi
I have monzo bank account and my sort code is not recognized, can someone help me with this problem?
Thank you

Hi Vitalik,

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
mrnloh
Community Member

I've tried this and the sort code is still not being recognised. I am also using a Tide business account.

Would I be able to state that we can't add any of the new business accounts like Tide, Monzo, starling etc?

Hi Nathan,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further. 

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
gokcecvl
Community Member

Hi, I am having the same issue. I have Barclays account, however the sort code is not recognized. I've entered the details manually, but still not sure if that would be a problem or not since the characters are way too limited for entering the address. 

Hi Gokce,

I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for your issue. Please refer to the ticket for more information and in case you have any questions, feel free to post them directly on the ticket.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi,

My sort code (UK) isn't recognised either. I have read the help article and I still havent resolved it. I really need this fixed.

Thanks you, 

Wilder. 

Hi I am trying to add my bank details for payment but it won't recognise my sort code and it won't accept me adding it manually either
Many thanks

Hi Naomi,

Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes? Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, could you please try again to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ''enter branch address manually'' under the "Bank not found" section of your bank information tab?

Let us know if the issue persists.

~ Nikola
Upwork
7fc373ec
Community Member

I'm definitely using the correct sort code it's the one in my app and it won't accept a manual entry either

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Naomi,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
jacor20
Community Member

My Starling bank sort code is not recognised by Upwork. Am I missing something?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi James,

Please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ’’enter branch address manually’’ under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
jacor20
Community Member

Hi,

Yes the sort code is correct. I've tried entering it manually (it's an
online only bank anyway so not sure on the relevence) but the next button
remains greyed out. Please see attached.

Thanks,
James
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for following up with additional information, James. 

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am experiencing the same issue as a Starling Bank user, it won't recognise the sort code and it won't accept a manual input

Hi Garry,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ahajok
Community Member

Hello

I'm having the same problem as many people who have replied above. Starling Bank only has one sort code and your page just says Bank Not Found. Please help. I can't enter details manually either.

Thank you

Alex

Hi Alexandra,

We shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nathan,

You probaly have already sorted this issue, but if not the Branch address to use for Tide is:

Prepay Technnologies Ltd., Station Square, 1 Gloucester Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 1GW

You can confirm this address in your Tide App by clicking more,  transactions, and then direct debits.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen 

Hello, any updates regarding the issue? Have you solved it?

I am moving to the UK in 2 weeks and need to withdraw my earnings there, and it seems like most of the banks in the UK as mentioned here are not recognized. Can a support team member contact me as well?

Hi Esra,

Could you please confirm if you have followed the steps Bojan shared in his post below:

• Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ’’enter branch address manually’’ under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab.

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello Goran,

I haven’t tried it yet because I am moving to the UK in 2 weeks and do not have a bank account yet. However, according to the comments here, adding manually won’t solve the problem either. Therefore, I do not want to wait to go the UK to experience the same problem. If the problem has not been solved, I will withdraw my earnings here not in the UK.

Since you contacted people personally, I cannot see if the problem is solved; therefore I wanted to ask beforehand.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Esra,

I understand your concern with this, however, I can't assist you with your payment method that you don't have at the moment. Feel free to withdraw your funds with your preferred method at any time.
Once you've relocated, If you're experiencing any problems with your bank account you can follow up here and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I am a Starling bank user and having the same problem - when I enter the Starling bank sort code it says bank not found. 

Hi Lucy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ’’enter branch address manually’’ under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab.

~ Nikola
Upwork
8c21b9fd
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

The sort code is definitely correct. As my bank is online only (Starling Bank), I don't have a branch address. It looks as though lots of people have had this problem, so I'm wondering how it's been resolved for them?

Thanks,

Lucy

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths