🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Un-authorize Refund from my account
Page options
9d20bd59
Community Member

Un-authorize Refund from my account

Hi,

I had recently a very bad experience with Upwork. I was working with a client. He deposited an amount in Escrow. When I submitted a project after so many revisions. He approved 50% of the total amount. The said amount was shown in my account. However after several days, Upwork 'Refunded' the amount back to the client from my account. I am still not able to understand, how did it happen. I didn't authorize the transfer.

Upwork emailed me that the Client was found in fraudulent activity. Does it mean, I have to pay the ultimate price for something, which I am not involved in?

I didn't get the remaining 50% as well. It was shocking to have this experience and lose 100% of the earned money.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bilal,

Since Upwork provides no public information about client histories on Upwork regarding client activity in paying less than original value on projects, cancelling projects, mediation, arbitration, etc., your only recourse is to read through the comments of a potential client's previous freelancers (which are often more positive than they should be because some freelancers hope for future work from the same client, even if they client was not easy to work with).

And your pre-contract discussions with a potential client might give you some insigths into that client's honest, skillset, attitude toward freelancers, etc.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bilal, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I see that the team handling your account concern has explained what happened in great detail through this support ticket. It would be best to refer to the ticket for more information regarding your account concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Bilal,

If the client's payment to Upwork for your work on a fixed price project has been fraudulent (such as using a stolen credit card) or the client instructs their credit card company to issue a chargeback to reverse a payment to Upwork with a legitimate credit card, Upwork will reverse any payment it has made to you related to that client's payment.

You have no recourse other than to take legal action against the client, which is probably not feasible on most Upwork projects.

9d20bd59
Community Member

Thank you Will for the reply.  

Isn't it kind of risky to involve in such activity? How do we know, the client will be fraudulent.

Can't know for sure, but client's past history could be a helpful indicator. If they've been on Upwork for years and have a good track record, then most likely it's going to be safe, if not - then there is a risk. Can also work on hourly projects to avoid this.

Bilal,

Since Upwork provides no public information about client histories on Upwork regarding client activity in paying less than original value on projects, cancelling projects, mediation, arbitration, etc., your only recourse is to read through the comments of a potential client's previous freelancers (which are often more positive than they should be because some freelancers hope for future work from the same client, even if they client was not easy to work with).

And your pre-contract discussions with a potential client might give you some insigths into that client's honest, skillset, attitude toward freelancers, etc.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members