🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unable to file a dispute
Page options
llafreniere
Community Member

Unable to file a dispute

Hello,

I'm hoping to file a dispute as a client only paid me half the rate. The client ended the contract on my request but won't pay the second milestone. I've looked up the instructions on filing a dispute. The first step is:

To file a dispute on an ended contract

1. Go to My Jobs and click on View Request in Ended Contracts

I've looked everywhere and cant find this button. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Lindsay

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

Lindsay L wrote:

Hello,

I'm hoping to file a dispute as a client only paid me half the rate. The client ended the contract on my request but won't pay the second milestone. I've looked up the instructions on filing a dispute. The first step is:

To file a dispute on an ended contract

1. Go to My Jobs and click on View Request in Ended Contracts

I've looked everywhere and cant find this button. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Lindsay

Was there more money funded? If not, there is nothing to despute from Upworks side. Always make sure the client has funded the entire amount before you hand over the work.

BUT if you agreed on twice the amount he had paid you, you might inform him that he can only use half of the text since you still hold the copyright to the other half. Wait with your feedback a few more days to see his reaction. He has already rated you, so he cannot do any more harm than he has done already.

We agreed on a press release for $130 including one revision. The first milestone was $65 for the first draft. The second milestone wasn't funded and it says "after revision or approval of the press release". 

The contact on Upwork says it was very very good. But the CEO didn't like it and doesn't want revisions. I completed the work as we had discussed on a phone call. 

Thanks, Jennifer!

At least you know this works.

Budget doesn't count.

Promised payments don't count.

Only finded escrow money counts.

If a task is not funded, don't do the task.

What would be the best way to set up the milestones in this situation?

IMO, something like this is best setup as a single, fully-funded milestone for the entire thing. The 14 day review period would act as the first draft and revision phase, but all the money is in escrow.

My reasoning for that is simple. If everything works out on the first go, they can release payment as soon as they decide they like it, and you get paid faster. If not, they can ask for revisions and you can work with them to get it to match what they're looking for. On the other hand, if they decide they "don't like it, but don't want revisions", you get paid the full amount after the 14 days are over and they haven't taken any action. That way, they're actually paying for the product instead of just taking off with the "rough draft" for half the price and likely using it anyway.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths