» Forums » Freelancers » Unauthorized Refund
Page options
pred0x3ady
Community Member

Unauthorized Refund

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

If the client is claiming he didn't initiate a refund, he is probably not even lying. It was the bank, or the real owner of a stolen credit card. Also, technically it isn't even a refund. Upwork never received any money, they were unsuccessful charging the credit card. To say that you refunded is a bit misleading, since you didn't do that, and there was never a refund. Refunding means that the money was there in the first place, which it wasn't. 

Hi Martina, the money is in the "Pending" state for the 4th day before I received an email regarding the refund. It should be available today. It's already past the "In review" phase.

It's the bank's cerdit card chargeback system. Upwork has no power.

I don't know about your case specifically but Upwork might actually replace the money with their own money, if it's a "real job", "hourly project", and you "followed all the rules". 

There's a lot of discussions about this, here's one:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Chargeback-without-client-request/m-p/1117159

Radia L wrote:

I don't know about your case specifically but Upwork might actually replace the money with their own money, if it's a "real job", "hourly project", and you "followed all the rules". 

The money was refunded, so he obviously he doesn't qualify for hourly payment protection.

Doesn't matter if it's in review or not. The client never paid upwork. You can't get money that upwork has not received.

What did the job involve, when were you hired, and how much money was refunded?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members