🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unconference looks like unpaid consultancy wo...
Page options
the3dguru
Community Member

Unconference looks like unpaid consultancy work?

The site just invited me to something called Unconference Unscripted. This is apparently a group chat where freelancers help solve each others problems. However, I see no indication of any payment system for it. Is the idea supposed to be that freelancers will give their time and expertise to other freelancers for nothing? Why would anyone do that?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this event, Steven!

This event is a great venue for meeting other top freelancers where attendees can share their experiences with each other, get different perspectives on how to address issues by hearing recommendations from other like-minded business owners, and discuss ideas related to managing a freelance business. 

Please know that this is an optional event and you do not have to participate if you are not comfortable or if you feel that this is not a good use of your time. As for your comments about compensation, I'll make sure to share this feedback with the team. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this event, Steven!

This event is a great venue for meeting other top freelancers where attendees can share their experiences with each other, get different perspectives on how to address issues by hearing recommendations from other like-minded business owners, and discuss ideas related to managing a freelance business. 

Please know that this is an optional event and you do not have to participate if you are not comfortable or if you feel that this is not a good use of your time. As for your comments about compensation, I'll make sure to share this feedback with the team. 

~ Avery
Upwork
the3dguru
Community Member

So its just about freelancing and Upwork? In that case its perfectly good idea. I'd actually be more than happy to consult with other freelancers on projects, as long as my time was paid for.

Steven T wrote:

So its just about freelancing and Upwork? In that case its perfectly good idea. I'd actually be more than happy to consult with other freelancers on projects, as long as my time was paid for.

If you see it like this, if you ever need help on the forums, get the wallet ready 😁

steven,

Can I ask you a question? my husband used to say it all the time,

What do I get if I do something or help someone else?

Where does that come from?

f

steven I will tell you why you freely offer your services to others not as esteemed as yourself.

I helped a colleague over in the US and 3 months later, he sent me a massive job that will pay the rest of my year! that is one reason you do nice things for people... sorry I just dont understand it? have you thought about mentoring young men that were in your position once? and did it just because you could, no other reason? you should try it makes you feel like you  have contributed to the world and the next generation.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Steven T wrote:

Is the idea supposed to be that freelancers will give their time and expertise to other freelancers for nothing? Why would anyone do that?

Ask the community gurus, who do this all the time.

Christine A wrote:

Steven T wrote:

Is the idea supposed to be that freelancers will give their time and expertise to other freelancers for nothing? Why would anyone do that?

Ask the community gurus, who do this all the time.

But we get paid in kudos, which represent much more than money - appreciation and lovely feedback from people who are grateful for our help! Wait, no, I want to get paid too. 

Hey Christine,

The community is very much appreciated by myself. I though this was about actual paid projects. As in, help somebody with a project they don't have the skills to complete, while they get paid less than I would.

Steven T wrote:

Hey Christine,

The community is very much appreciated by myself. I though this was about actual paid projects. As in, help somebody with a project they don't have the skills to complete, while they get paid less than I would.

Normally, a freelancer would create a client account when they require on-demand help with a particular project. If they want to pay less than their rate, they can do so there. You wouldn't just offer your skills to the first random project that comes to you in a 1 hour window, makes no sense.

I also got the invite and what I understood is that it is more like a networking event, where peers meet to share and learn from each other. Like if you go to a conference where you have the actual conference (the talks) and then you have the breaks (the "unconference") where you meet your peers, discuss and learn.

Steven T wrote:

I though this was about actual paid projects. As in, help somebody with a project they don't have the skills to complete, while they get paid less than I would.

It isn't.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members