cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undercutting

mikki_james
Active

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new here on Upwork, so I hope I have placed my question in the right forum.

Okay, here's my question.

Why do people insist on underbidding on their proposals? For example on almost evey job I have submitted a proposal for has a low bid for like $4.00. These are jobs that would obviously pay out at a much higher rate. I cannot help but find it rather frustrating. I do realize this is a universal platform, but come on, give a girl a break. I didn't spend 6 years of my life in college just to pimp myself out for $4.00 an hour. LOL!!! Seriously though, is it simply to rack up work hours and a reputation or am I missing something here?

Thanks for letting me share!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
evetodew
Community Guru

Mikki,

To add to what Dan said, which is very much true... You have your own strengths and Dan pointed them out - you're a native English speaker. That's a great strength, since the language barrier is gone. You have years of experience behind your back. Maybe you have solid education or some specific experience which you're proud of. I am sure you have way more strengths than the low-ballers.

So, here's the idea. If the low-ballers' means to win a project is underbidding, then don't fight the 'battle' with their weapons. Fight their weaknesses with your strengths. So, pick your strengths and reinforce them, by subtly (or not so) mentioning them in your overview or/and portfolio.

Don't play the low-ballers' game. Don't underbid yourself. Have pride and confidence in yourself, and clients will respect you for that. You'll attract the right type of clients. Low-ballers usually attract the wrong type of clients. From personal experience.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS