Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding How Clients Set Project Rates - Hourly + Flat

lindseyhgregory
Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
1 of 4

I'm wondering what the process is - if there's any - for setting the rates for these projects on Upwork.

I think they're a little less clear here. I didn't notice there was a problem, until I saw several $3/hr - $4/hr social media marketing projects listed in the "Expert" category. Additionally, there are flat rate projects for $10 listed in the Expert category as well.

I'm wondering if Upwork plans to ever adopt Elance's method of listing a bid range, be it hourly or flat rate? I feel like there would be much less confusion that way. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
2 of 4

Lindsey,

Yes, the attempt to yoke expertise levels to some entirely abstract price range is pretty much a joke. (Hint to @Upwork: Granting the exception of restaurant review sites, dollar signs don't mean much with no numbers behind them.)

You might try letting go of wondering about clients' "thought" processes, and focus on whether they're willing to meet the price range you set.

Best,
Michael

atlinguist
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
3 of 4

Not quite an answer to your question about the introduction of bid ranges, but my 50 cts worth of...um...b*s*:

1.) Set your rates (hourly, or whatever),

2.) Develop a pricing strategy that includes options for clients offering above (yeah, I know, rarely) or below your price offer which allows you to be flexible in your pricing by adding/leaving out certain (service) options.

(But don't forget: As all markting gurus will tell you, the middle pricing option is the one most frequently chosen by customers.)

javimoregarc
Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
4 of 4

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS