🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Understanding W-8ben Name of Business + i...
Page options
lucaszanella
Community Member

Understanding W-8ben Name of Business + information about Brazil taxes

I'm reading about w-8ben. Upwork only requires one thing from me, as the address is already filled:

Legal Name of Business 
Provide the same name as shown on your tax return.

I don't have a business. What should I put?

Also, on the information about w-8ben, it says:

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings

does that mean I'll receive 100% of what I gained? (except paypal percentage)

It says that as I understood, but I heard someone saying about paying 30%, which is a LOT.

I'm from Brazil.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lucas,

You'll have access to your Upwork earnings as long as you have completed the W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. You may need to consult a local tax advisor about proper ways to report your Upwork income to your country's tax authorities. Feel free to check out this help article for more information on the W8-BEN form.

Please note that as a freelancer, you’re charged a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each non-Enterprise client. This includes all contracts you’ve ever had with that client. Service fees are the same whether the contracts are hourly or fixed-price. You can check out this help article for more information on the freelancer service fees.

You can also check out these helpful articles about payment options and the fees and timing.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
rdutrav
Community Member

Hi Lucas, were you able to find out how to set it up for Brazilian freelancers? I'm based in Brazil too. Thanks!

Hi Raquel,

You can update your W-8BEN on this page. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths