cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding the Client side of UpWork

Amy S Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
1 of 5

Is there a video or article that walks you through what the client sees when posting a job with UpWork?  It seems like in my field, almost every client of mine is brand new to UpWork and they ask me questions I can't answer.

Some don't even undestand how to hire me!   I would really love to see a video walk-through of a client signing up, posting a job, reviewing proposals, hiring, etc.

Especially reviewing proposals, so that I can better undestanding what will make mine stand out.  I've tried all sorts of tricks to stand out (I think it's working but there's always room for improvement) but I would really like to see it from the client's side.

If there already is such a thing, please point me toward it, I've search archives and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 5

Here's a link to the client tutorials. https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Client-Tutorial-Videos/td-p/99871

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Manager
Valeria K Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Amanda,

Feel free to review and share resources for clients Vladimir complied in this post:

Client section of Upwork Help Center

Complete knowledge base offering easy access to integral information or a solution you need as a new client. This Help article is a good starting point.

Online Course for New Clients

Free online course offering real-world best practices for finding and working with great freelancers.

Client Quick Start Guide

Trust & Safety FAQ

Short overview and FAQ designed to help you get started as a client on Upwork. 

Hiring Headquarters

Best practice advice designed to help guide you through the hiring process on Upwork.

Client Tutorial Videos

Learn how to find the best freelance talent, collaborate on projects, use features and services built exclusively for you, pay for what you expect and get the absolute most from freelancers.

Client Webinar

Attend a live and interactive webinar hosted by Upwork designed for new clients.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 5

(Disclaimer: I've never read any of that client help stuff but I'm going to work my way through it to see if there's any new tricks I can learn as an "old dog".)

But to answer your question about how to make your proposal stand out, Amanda, the main thing to remember is that, if the client doesn't have any of those "additional questions" to answer, the first thing they see is the first few sentences of your cover letter. (If they have questions, your answers to those questions are the first thing they see.) So your first couple of sentences of your cover letter are critical.

From a client perspective, here's a couple of tips:

1) Take a look at their hiring history. See if you can see past freelancers using the client's name a lot in their feedback. IF you're confident you know what their real name is, you can greet them by name (it shows that you've done some research before you applied to the job and that you're genuinely interested). But make ABSOLUTELY sure you've spelled it correctly!

2) Otherwise, skip the greeting. "Dear client", "Dear Hiring Manager", "Dear Madam / Sir" (or worse, just "Dear Sir"), or even just "Hello" are wasting valuable space. And in the format of the proposal list, you don't need it. (Most freelancers do include a greeting - so by NOT including one, you'll stand out! But, if you really must include one, just "Hello" is fine.)

3) You don't need to repeat your name (like "my name is Amanda...", it's right there above your proposal (the only exception to this would be if you have a complex or double-barrelled name or prefer to use a nickname or middle name or something, so that it's clear how the client can address you. Even then, you can just save it to your sign-off at the bottom.)

4) Your cover letter should immediately tell the client how you can solve their problem. They're here because they have a problem that needs solving. Don't start with "I I I" sentences (I have these skills, I have this experience). Address their problem immediately: "Writing fliers promoting the health benefits of cuddling kittens is something I have extensive experience in. You need an expert with hands-on experience, and I cuddle my kitten daily.")

5) Make sure that you have no typos in your cover letter in general, but ESPECIALLY in those first few sentences.

Good luck!

(PS - you need to remove that link to your personal website from your profile. It has links to contact you, which is a violation of the ToS.)

Amy S Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
5 of 5

Those videos were exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

And Jenifer -

Thank you for the tips.   Many of those I already do, and the others I will incorporate into my proposals.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
User Accepted Solutions Count
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS