🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Undeserved negative feedback from difficult ...
Page options
claudiglot
Community Member

Undeserved negative feedback from difficult client

Hi there, 

I just wanted to get advice on how to handle an undeserved bad review from a barely responsive client who ironically keeps adding new milestones and never once expressed any dissatisfaction with me before.

I was hired for a trial article for which communication was slow and the internal feedback non-existent. I believe the work got approved by default at the end of the 14 days. During this time, I emphasized this was only a first draft and I was open to edits and requests. Seeing he was unresponsive, I proceeded to close the contract, which apparently was a wake-up call for him to open a new one and request more work, which I accepted and I am now doomed to complete, I guess. He also lied on the feedback, stating I complete one article and it was "very average", whereas I have written two so far and I am due for two more. This is very upsetting, especially in the context of a pandemic. I have a pretty good record on here and I can't afford for my income to get hurt by these undeserved circumstances.

What do you lovely people suggest? I already emailed the client reminding him I had been open to edit requests all along and seeing how he never responded and even kept requesting more work I assumed he was happy with me. Long story short, how do I recover from this blatant d. move?

8 REPLIES 8
e63aa696
Community Member

This is definitely a tough situation and you probably don't deserve to go through it.

If you deliver the work and ask questions to make it the best you can, but if the client is unresponsive then it's their fault.

I can't tell you how to handle it instead of being a bit more selective with your clients moving forward.

I used to want to deliver any work too just for the sake of income but you need to weigh your options, is it best to keep doing jobs for bad clients and getting bad reviews when they're totally undeserved or to sharpen you skills and portfolio while you wait for more worthwhile clients? 😊

Thank you for that, Carina. 

I am hoping his feedback will get lost in the other positive reviews in the near future. But for now, it stands on top of my profile, deterring possible clients and threatening a big chunk of my income. I also accepted new assignments from this man before realizing what had happened - ironically, blog posts on the subject of positivity - and I am feeling uneasy having to complete those. I have sent a compassionate email stating I hope we can find a better understanding moving forward, but given his history of bi-weekly monosyllabic responses, I doubt I'll get anything out of it. I am even afraid of receiving further bad feedback from the current milestone. If my writing is so average, why does he keep requesting my services? Meanwhile, I am feeling a bit shaken and lost a whole morning of work to this mess.

petra_r
Community Member

Claudia P wrote: Long story short, how do I recover from this blatant d. move?

It's a 4.2 rather than "negative" feedback. 

Cheap clients are as ungenreous with their feedback as they are with money. 2 articles for $25? Avoid cheap clients, that'll help.

Thanks for that. Still, seeing that "very average" on top of my profile is hardly attractive. In all fairness to the client, the articles are $25 each - he has $50 in escrow for the current milestone. I guess what I need advice with is this milestone I am stuck with. I am nervous and uncomfortable completing it but I have committed by accepting it before being able to see his previous feedback. Negotiating anything with the client is off the table - though I am trying, just in case - because if he was a reasonable person, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

Claudia P wrote:

Thanks for that. Still, seeing that "very average" on top of my profile is hardly attractive. In all fairness to the client, the articles are $25 each - he has $50 in escrow for the current milestone. I guess what I need advice with is this milestone I am stuck with.

You gave the client 3 point something stars on the first contract. I would do that ONLY to a client I know I will never work with again under any circumstances.  Then accepted another one and now another one? You are a glutton for punishment.... 

Get this milestone over and done with as best you can and hope for the best. Then close the contract and make sure you really won't ever work with that client again.... You're now between a rock and a hard place, but it's just a couple of blogs. Do your best and get the hell out of there.

Good point. I guess I needed to make rent during those three and a half months in which I could not even wait tables due to strict shelter-in-place regulations. I made the best decisions with the information I had at the time... 

tlbp
Community Member

Claudia P wrote:

Good point. I guess I needed to make rent during those three and a half months in which I could not even wait tables due to strict shelter-in-place regulations. I made the best decisions with the information I had at the time... 

Don't blame people on the forums because you entered an industry and began using a platform without adequate knowledge. Learn from the experience. Freelance platforms are not a place where nice people only hire other nice people. Just like the rest of the internet these platforms are populated by all types of people from scammers to dreamers. Not everyone is going to behave the way you think they should. 

Your attitude about the client's communication is unrealistic. Your client's only obligation was to give you the assignment and wait. Milestones are paid automatically after 14 days. You aren't entitled to hear from the client during that period. Just finish the work, submit it for payment and wait.

That your expectations were different reflects you inexperience. You reaction to the transaction not meeting your expectations has created the current situation. Since you are in a new contract with this client, assume they found your work good enough to keep sending you money. Other than that, it seems very clear that no matter how chatty you would like to be, their workflow is to send the assignment, get the work, pay for the work. That's it. 

If you truly cannot bring yourself to do the work, just close the contract. The funds will automatically go back to the client and with any luck, they won't notice you are gone until it is too late to leave feedback. 

claudiglot
Community Member

I clearly haven't explained myself, I wasn't expecting the client to be chatty. And other clients so far have actively approved my work or requested edits vs leaving the platform to automatically approve it for them, then request more work only to say the previous work was average. Had we communicated clearly from the beginning, I would have done a better job the first time around and avoided a surprise bad remark. I also have more assignments to complete and I have to clear feedback as to how I can do a better job this time. Apparently, I have been lucky enough to deal with polite and proactive clients so far and should consider it a gift rather than the norm. Anyway, happy to drop this now. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members