cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unending contracts

Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
1 of 7

i have some clients who gave me some jobs hourly paid ....about 5 to 10 hours , not really big . The job is done, finished . But they dont close the contract and dont give feedback . i send messages to them on odesk but no reply

I have read it is bad to have contracts not closed . Is it true ? What can i do ? I read too that i must not close them ....

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7
If you have an hourly contract that is not closed... Are you 100% certain that there is nothing else that can be done for the job? Maybe there was some point discussed in an email or message that suggests further work the client would want you to do, that you have not finished doing yet...
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
3 of 7

no really everything done ! for one it was a marketing letter i have done in french and the other one i translated some articles ....but for the last person i know he had some health problems so i think now he abandoneed or stopped his project .

But you dont answer my question ....in these cases is it bad to have a contract not ended and what can i do ?

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 7

Politely contact the client through the Upwork messaging system asking whether there is any more work to come, and if not, would they mind closing the contract so you can both give feedback. DON'T mention five-star feedback or good feedback - just feedback, or honest feedback.

Do this maybe once a week a couple of times. If there is no reply after a month or so you can close the contract yourself and give feedback. This can be honest and include the fact that the client became uresponsive. The client may come back at that stage and give you feedback, or may have disappeared. The client will not be able to read your feedback before they give their own about you. 

Will closing like this affect your job score? Upwork are very vague about it, and say that if it's only now and again it shouldn't matter, and if you have tried to contact the client for "a long time". So please note I cannot be held responsible if it goes badly for you as Upwork are so vague with their information that really noone knows. But I've done this myself quite a few times with no problem.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
5 of 7

I agree with Stephen, except that I would do the "anything else I can do?/if not, kindly close contract for mutual feedback" message only once, and then close the contract myself after a week or two. From my understanding, closed jobs with no feedback only start counting against you if you have lots of them.

For the future, I would also do these kind of communications promptly right after the job. If the client hints that there might be more work, I'd just suggest to open a new contract for that. More finished jobs with decent feedback also help to keep up/improve scores.

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
6 of 7

Its difficult question you will be penalize both way even you end it by yourself or leave it like this.This is what stressing everyone I am having the same issue i have doubled my performance satisfied my clients most of my client are reapeted always got 5 star rating but my JS decrease i dont know what the sin I am doing which I dont know.

May be its my inactive contract which are killing my JS I have requested clients to end the contracts but they dont response in this situation i get penalize not the client because i am active and the clients are sleeping.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

Some of the powers that be at Upwork, including some of the Forum Moderators, have acknowledged that there is a problem with the overall system in the way that contracts are closed (or can't be closed) when clients go AWOL.

(Clients are typically well-meaning, but are simply unaware of the impact that leaving without closing a contract has on contractors.)

We have seen comments that Upwork is working on something to address this. That would be a very welcome modification to the current system if they can do so.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS