cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unethical work requests

elizabeth_samit
Elizabeth S Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
1 of 6

A talent scout from UpWork has invited me to bid on a job to write theses and dissertations. While I have edited theses and dissertations for decades, I do not write them. This s is because performing a student's work is academic fraud. In turn, academic fraud can result in expulsion from the university. It appears that reporting requests by prospective clients for academic fraud to UpWork is not effective. IUpWork talent scout training really needs to specify that "writing" a dissertation is very different from "editing" it. While I declined the job, I have no doubt that someone else invited to perfom it will bid on it. Freelancers are supposed to be responsible for reporting academic fraud to UpWork, but there does not seem to be the same expectation of talent scouts. This makes no sense in terms of stemming the tide of unethical student requests for assistance posted on UpWork.

evemue
Evelyn M Member Since: Oct 21, 2017
2 of 6
I have seen countless jobs posted that are considered a violation of the law and a clear ethical dilemma for the freelancer. You are correct though. You should not write someone’s dissertation. The fact that someone else might take on the job, is their moral issue to deal with.

However; Upwork should clearly follow up when job posts such as this are reported to them.
evemue
Evelyn M Member Since: Oct 21, 2017
3 of 6
I have seen countless jobs posted that are considered a violation of the law and a clear ethical dilemma for the freelancer. You are correct though. You should not write someone’s dissertation. The fact that someone else might take on the job, is their moral issue to deal with.

However; Upwork should clearly follow up when job posts such as these are reported to them.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

Chances are the talent scount had no idea what academic fraud is. Report the client and job as academic fraud.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 6

I ranted about this sort of thing a few days ago with regard to attorney jobs being sent to paralegals. I got nowhere but I felt better getting it off my chest.

Agreed, the TS don't recognize academic fraud.  Just report it as fraud.

naomij1411
Community Leader
Naomi J Member Since: May 15, 2015
6 of 6

I often refuse work sent to me which should be sent to a lawyer!  And/or someone in a completely different jurisdiction! I think a major problem is clients using agencies, teams and talent scouts/Upwork programs to find freelancers, none of whom appreciate the importance and potential sharing of liability if things go wrong and are concerned only with a race to the bottom.

Presumably these clients are happy to take these risks but I am not.  I have considered taking my legal experience/qualifications off my profile as I get so many irrelevant requests, but have found a couple of interesting UK based jobs with an appropriate property law angle so it remains.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS