🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unexpectedly low JSS - 75% after "Rising Tale...
Page options
work0rk
Community Member

Unexpectedly low JSS - 75% after "Rising Talent"

This message was intended for support team, but their support bot directed me here. So, I'll share my problem with public. I've seen similar questions, but they are all without answers.

"Hi, Dear Support Team,

I have a problem with my Job Success Score, which is unreasonably low - only 75%. All my projects has good feedback from 4.85 to 5.0. Before I had a "Rising Talent" badge, but now it's expired. How can you explain this sudden drop in my rating?

I asked 3 of my clients about their Private feedback, and they said that it was positive, one client gave me 8, but he never gives 10 to anyone. That clients also proved that they are satisfied with my work. I had one contract with Enlighted Digital which lasted very long without activity, but that's because client refused to close it and asked me to stay. He wanted continue it but then plans changed and he finally agreed to close. I followed will of my client and I see no reason why such projects should have negative impact on the JSS.

Please, solve this problem or at least give me some explanations because I don't really understand why my JSS so low. I feel myself discriminated.

All the best,

Vladimir Kelin"

See the screenshot of my work history and feedbacks in the attachment.

11 REPLIES 11
robin_hyman
Community Member

I've seen similar questions, but they are all without answers.

Comment above is untrue.  I've seen multiple questions on the forum and freelancers always respond with reasons why.  

Private feedback is supposed to be private.  What if a client lied to you?  They have no reason to tell you anything.  

It is probably because of low negative private feedback.  What's your "clients who would recommend you" score?

I'm in good relationships with my clients and I trust them.

petra_r
Community Member

Vladimir K wrote:

I'm in good relationships with my clients and I trust them.

Well, one of them left you poor private feedback.

Asking clients about private feedback is very unprofessional by the way. Don't do that.

It's called "private" feedback for a reason.

work0rk
Community Member

It's totally professional to be open with your clients. The existance of private feedback - that's what is unprofessional.

There are some reasons to think that the JSS algorithm considers a rating of 8 to be poor.

Based on my own theory about how the JSS is calculated, it would take two ratings of 8 to explain your JSS. Have you done two jobs for the client who said he gave you a rating of 8?

Richard W wrote:

There are some reasons to think that the JSS algorithm considers a rating of 8 to be poor.

Based on my own theory about how the JSS is calculated, it would take two ratings of 8 to explain your JSS. Have you done two jobs for the client who said he gave you a rating of 8?

Yeah, looks like he probably got at least 2 8s. Maybe the other marked down rating was a 7. 

petra_r
Community Member

Vladimir K wrote:

It's totally professional to be open with your clients. The existance of private feedback - that's what is unprofessional.

Well, it became necessary due to unprofessional freelancers hassling clients over feedback. Those unprofessional freelancers were clearly also under the delusion that it's an OK thing to do.

work0rk
Community Member

I don't actually like this "professionality" fetish, I prefer to be a friend with a client. Two equal persons making some business together.

Vladimir K wrote:

I don't actually like this "professionality" fetish,

Seems like a good reason your private feedback might not be good.

I noticed you didn't respond to the question about your "clients who would recommend you" percentage?

It's 80%

luce-neidert
Community Member

Vladimir, don't give too much importance to JSS, or it will drive you completely nuts. I know it's very sad when it drops, but just keep on, do your best and you'll see it rise again. Mine did drop to 80 something when I was a beginner on Upwork, but now it's been over 90% for over 2 years.

I guess that because you haven't done many jobs, one or two not so good reviews are given a lot of importance by the silly algorithm that calculates JSSs.

A contract that's inactive for too long does have an impact, but as we don't know how long is too long,...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths