Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair Feedback

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
11 of 22

To put client's feedback in perspective, Upwork should also show the average ratings a client has historically given to his freelancers.

It's possible poor ratings are common with a particular client, but neither other freelancers nor a freelancer's future potential clients have any way of knowing this under the current system.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
12 of 22

How have you seen freelancers "doing themselves much more harm than good" when responding to a client's unreasonably negative rating on their work?

What do you think is the best way to not do "more harm than good" when responding?

Thanks for your insights.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 22

@Will L wrote:

1) How have you seen freelancers "doing themselves much more harm than good" when responding to a client's unreasonably negative rating on their work?

2) What do you think is the best way to not do "more harm than good" when responding?

1) Many ways, such as the freelancer having trouble getting hired afterwards. Remember that a bystander does not know whether any given feedback is fair / unfair / reasonable / unreasonable.

But a lengthy rant just draws attention to a less than favourable feedback and makes it stand out, and often it is more harmful than the feedback itself. I have decided not to hire 2 freelancers because of the way they reacted to feedback and because of how that portrayed them.

2) Sleep over it and think about whether it NEEDS a response. If it does, keep it to a short, factual, polite (maybe even slightly humorous) comment, a line, maybe two at most, not a page filling rant full of irrelevant (to any future potential client) details.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
14 of 22

@Fariha Tarannum R wrote:

How do you change an unfair feedback if the client blocks you? He falsely claimed I passed the deadline and gave me a 1-star review after giving a threatening message initially on the day of the due date. I have requested help from an UpWork agent. Will it be effective?

Hi Fariha,

If that client has a history of “abuse” or unfair feedback, customer support might be able to help, or at least, the feedback may not be used for your JSS.

What is the client’s history like?

"Certa bonum certamen"
fariha_r
Ace Contributor
Fariha Tarannum R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
15 of 22

Hi Mr. Ravindra!

Unfortunately, the client's feedbacks are pretty good. In fact, that's the reason why I applied to him in the first place. He has spent quite a lot money (like around $100,000) so all of it made me think that this must be an amazing client. I was ecstatic about this contract. However, life is pretty unpredictable after all.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 22

something I learned when I was on elance was that it's better to always be at least 24 hours early when submitting stuff to avoid the time zone issue. Sometimes I don't even realize someone is in the UK and you get a message asking where something is and it's 5pm the previous day in your time zone.

So now I always add a couple days to when I'm actually going to submit it in case poop happens and it just makes sure nobody can get me on stupid time zone issues.

I lost a bonus out of a time zone disagreement. I still say I'm right, but whateversssss.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 22

@Jennifer M wrote:

something I learned when I was on elance was that it's better to always be at least 24 hours early when submitting stuff to avoid the time zone issue. Sometimes I don't even realize someone is in the UK and you get a message asking where something is and it's 5pm the previous day in your time zone.

So now I always add a couple days to when I'm actually going to submit it in case poop happens and it just makes sure nobody can get me on stupid time zone issues.

I lost a bonus out of a time zone disagreement. I still say I'm right, but whateversssss.

Upwork should adjust for this. Even my Google calendar shows me meetings and deadlines in local time, regardless of the time zone in which they were posted.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 22

@Tiffany S wrote:

Upwork should adjust for this. Even my Google calendar shows me meetings and deadlines in local time, regardless of the time zone in which they were posted.

True. UK is probably a bad example since that time doesn't make sense, but I have an off platform client in the UK that gets antsy if it's Wednesday at noon my time and I haven't submitted what I need to by then. It's due on Wed. So now I just send it on Tuesday to save us both the headache. He's what popped into my head with the time zone thing.

fariha_r
Ace Contributor
Fariha Tarannum R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
19 of 22

I feel the exact same way as you do, Jennifer.

Thank you for this advice about the whole time zone and deadline dilemma. I never thought this would be a problem as it never was before. Whenever the deadlines were strict, they were mentioned, including timezones and everything so I believe instructions were not clear on my client's part. What I regret most is that I gave him a pretty good feedback based on criteria. I only gave him 1.0 in the communication criteria. I hate myself a little for being too generous and ignoring the way he behaved so rudely. I wonder what will happen next year when I enter the real corporate world... Any advice with that?

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
20 of 22
Yessiree bob! 😀
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS