cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair JSS Rating Formula

97c1d4ab
Damon L Member Since: Jul 28, 2017
1 of 2

I have been on Upwork as a Freelancer and have completed more than 11 jobs, I have received conisistantly positive feedback from clients always with a job rating of 5 out of 5. I also reply to client communications within an hour most of the time if within a similiar time zone or within 8 to 12 hours if different time zones. I also apply to jobs frequently and respond to job invites within an hour. I have noticed my JSS drop from 100% to 90% over the past few weeks. From what I understand having jobs open with no activity over time is a negative. I have two clients that prefer keeping the contracts open as it's less admin for them and they only give me work on an ad-hoc basis.I believe this variable shouldn't be marked as negative as it's unfair for the freelancer to ask his client to end the contact. Upwork should be able distinguish between short-term and long-term contracts.

If anything long-term contracts should be seen as positive?

As a result my JSS is dropping for all the wrong reasons. 

I have good proffessional relationships with all my clients and enjoy working with the Upwork platform and actively promote the global remote workplave movement but I am quite upset that my JSS is being negatively influenced when there is no reason for it and seems to be outside of my control.

Is Upwork going to change their approach to the wy they calculate their JSS?

A lot of my my income comes from Upwork clients so a dropping JSS score is negative for me in securing new clients.

Please HELP!!

Thanks

Regards

Damon

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 2

@Damon L wrote:

1)  I have noticed my JSS drop from 100% to 90% over the past few weeks.

2) From what I understand having jobs open with no activity over time is a negative.

3) I have two clients that prefer keeping the contracts open as it's less admin for them

4) and they only give me work on an ad-hoc basis.

5) If anything long-term contracts should be seen as positive?

6) As a result my JSS is dropping for all the wrong reasons. 

7) Is Upwork going to change their approach to the wy they calculate their JSS?

1) It's 91%

2) Yes, but only if they are inactive for months. You only have showing on your profile that is more than a few weeks old.

3) It takes two mouseclicks to rehire, there is a big fat "rehire" button on the client interface. Unpausing a paused contract is no less admin effort.

4) "ad hoc" is fine, provided it's not several months between activity.

5) They are. After 3 months of regular activity (!) they do count positives, and it does not matter whether it's 3 months from one contract, pr several with the sme client.

6) You don't know that. There are a lot of factors, such as contracts that ended (or stayed open inactive) without payment for a long time, contracts that were ended before starting, private feedback, client recommendations etc etc.

7) Unlikely.

It is in your interest to get clients to close contracts - as you only have very few so far, so each one has a heavy impact. Once you have 100 contracts one outcome makes little difference, with 10 every contract represents 10% of your calculation........

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS