cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair Rating

Highlighted
Mohammad A Member Since: Jun 14, 2018
1 of 16

SO I just finished my 5th job at Upwork and my 1st as hourly paid. I did everything the client wanted and accepted low budget just to get a job and a good review and push up my account. The problem is, the client gave me a 4 star rating and this is pissing me off. I asked him to give me a "good" review and told him why. The comment he wrote was positive but he gave me only 4 stars!!! I didnt get my job success score and Im afraid this will destroy my account. I always ask my clients before ending the contract if they are 100% satisfied. I dont know why he gave me 4 stars although he was 100% satisfied.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 16

Mohammad:

What are you talking about???

This is a great review!

Did you even read what he wrote?

You should be very appreciative of this client. He took the time to really think about how you did and write great things about you.

He gave you a great rating. 4 stars is a very good score!

Yet you are "pissed" off? This means you do not understand Upwork's rating system.

This is NOT going to "destroy your account." Your Job Success Score is not calculated based on your star average scores. You can have lots of 3+ and 4+ scores and still have a perfect 100% Job Success Score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 16

The following comment has nothing to do with the original poster's post:

I have hired over 70 freelancers on Upwork. Most are great to work with. But on rare occassions, after a job is done, I have had freelancers do bizarre things relating to their scores.

If I gave a freelancer a great score (such as a 4) and wrote nice things about her, and then she asked me to change her score, I would be shocked. I might even agree to change her score.

But after the freelancer clicked the button that allows me (the client) to change her score... what if the score did not go up? What if it went the other direction?

And what if the comment was changed to something like: "She started out as a good freelancer but then became a pain in the neck?"

(I'm not saying I would do that. I'm not saying I wouldn't do that. I'm just asking questions.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
BEST ANSWER
4 of 16

I don't think that's a very good review at all. I think it's a review a client writes when he's trying to be positive and diplomatic but wasn't actually all that happy with the experience.

But it is what it is. You shouldn't ask clients for "good" reviews. What would you think of a product manufacturer that asked you for a "good" review of their product?

You don't "tell" clients "why" you should get a good review. That's likely to get you a bad one. The client decides if he or she is happy with the work, not you.

By the way, stars on Upwork are like points on Whose Line Is It Anyway? -- they don't matter. Unless you have a horribly low number, no client really cares about them. They don't factor into JSS either, only private feedback does.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 16

Thank you, Ill never ask for reviews.

Highlighted
6 of 16

But Im not qualified to be a Rising Talent anymore!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
7 of 16

"But Im not qualified to be a Rising Talent anymore!"

That's probably because you've now completed 5 jobs. I believe once you get your 5th, you have enough jobs for a JSS. You lose Rising Talent and get a JSS when it next recalculates (probably July 8).

If it wasn't that, then whatever it was, it certainly wasn't because of 4 stars.

Highlighted
8 of 16

If you were right, then why do ALL clients require a 90 JSS AND a rising talent badge they both can be given at the same time?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
9 of 16

Hello

The rating is really unfair. I have 405 jobs done, excellent feedbacks and this week my profile is 89% JSS. It seems GREAT... but I´m not qualified now for applying for certain jobs that require 90% success rate.

I suggest to use the Private Feedback to benefit us, the frelancers, and not to prejudice our Profile. Send me the private feedback from my clients -if that's the reason of a lower success rate- and let me improve my perfomance. Now, with a lower success rate Upwork is not helping us.  

Thank you 

Highlighted
Community Guru
James S Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
10 of 16

@Mohammad A wrote:

I asked him to give me a "good" review and told him why.

That was a mistake; never ask or beg for good reviews, it just irritates clients. Also as Preston said, it's not that bad.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS