🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unfair Upwork Policies
Page options
Community Member

Unfair Upwork Policies

Totally Unfair Upwork has no rules and regulations. The client requested refund from me without any reason even the refund request is illegal . . Upwork message me to provide evidence of work . I provide each and everything. Then they put withdraw restrictions on my earnings. Few days later today they deducted amount from my account. They said the client account is zero. So that is not my fault. My legal earning dedcuted by Upwork unfair rules. Even they know i am fair and sincere. . Anyone can help how to recover the amount from upwork. ? How they can do this?? Unfair policies. . . Helpless. . .
12 REPLIES 12
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohsin,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  Please check this help article to learn more about Upwork Payment Protection and refer to the information our team shared with you within this support ticket.

I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Community Member

Dear Bojan,
Thanks for your reply. But now I can not understand why they did that? The client requests a refund through his bank. The bank recovered all amount from Upwork. The Client suddenly withdraw all the amount from his bank and made it zero. Not only me I think all freelancers are facing the problem who worked with him (specific client) but Upwork has to take a strong rebuttal against the client on his childish act.

Hi Mohsin,

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I checked, and I can confirm that our team has updated your ticket with more information to assist you further regarding this issue. Please check your ticket number: 30008071 and feel free to post any follow-up questions on the ticket.  

~ Joanne
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your reply. I messaged there now waiting for their kind response. All I need to recover my legal earnings. Kindly assist me regarding the issue I am facing. 

Best Regards,
Mohsin Zaib

Mohsin Z wrote:

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your reply. I messaged there now waiting for their kind response. All I need to recover my legal earnings. Kindly assist me regarding the issue I am facing. 

Best Regards,
Mohsin Zaib

Upwork does have rules and regulations to protect you. If you play by these rules, you get paid every time, and it's real easy too. (Fixed price submit work for payment, hourly no manual hours, track your hours with the tracker and put relevant text in the memos.)

Martina P wrote:

Upwork does have rules and regulations to protect you. If you play by these rules, you get paid every time, and it's real easy too. (Fixed price submit work for payment, hourly no manual hours, track your hours with the tracker and put relevant text in the memos.)

This was a chargeback. There is no protection against chargebacks on fixed rate contracts. When a client does a chargeback, the bank immediately takes the money out of Upwork's account and Upwork takes it off the freelancer.

It sounds like Upwork did successfully challenge the chargeback, but at that point the client had already emptied their account so the funds could not be recovered.

That money is gone.

Community Member

Exactly I agree with Petra, I am facing the same issue. But the question is there is not my fault. I completed the project successfully even the client gave me 5 Star feedback. Even I send the evidence of work to Upwork. Then why all the blame is putting on me? Not even my 1% fault. Now the client emptied his account and Upwork recover that money from my available earnings. It's not my fault and not understandable. 

petra_r
Community Member

Mohsin Z wrote:

But the question is there is not my fault. 

It's not Upwork's fault either, though, is it?

Community Member

Yeah, you right. It's the Client's fraudulent. He just gets work from freelancers and request his bank for a refund and emptied his account immediately. So, what can I assume now? My earnings have gone forever? 

petra_r
Community Member

Mohsin Z wrote:

So, what can I assume now? My earnings have gone forever? 

To be practical, yes, that would be the most likely outcome. The client won't be able to do it to other freelancers though, not on Upwork, anyway, as a chargeback is a violation of Upwork's terms of Service and Upwork would most likely have suspended the client by now.

Community Member

Yes Petra, This would be much better. These kinds of fraudulent Clients should not be allowed on the Upwork platform. But there is something the Upwork should do against him. This is not fair to give free hand to him. Upwork has to take strong action against him.

Upwork ensures me today that they are doing work on my behalf to get the funds back from that client. But his bank will make the final decision. Let see what will happen. I have lost my earnings or will get back to my account in 45 days. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths