🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unfair feedback/ refund??
Page options
0a7d2ca9
Community Member

Unfair feedback/ refund??

I had a bad experience with a client, in a milestone, she added more products than in the job description. ( it was my second job in upwork, a milestone of 5 dollars) After 5 changes, she wanted another option. I kindly proposed a bonus for the second option (she had already obtained the illustration of the first option with changes). I ended up doing both options with all the requested changes. Today, after 4 months he has given me 2.8 of feedback. What should I do? (I have 4 other contracts ended with 5 *) This contract ended with 12 dollars ¬ ¬. i want to be top rated i was waiting earn $1000  i am in 98% job score with $850 earned 

11 REPLIES 11
timefighter11
Community Member

Hay Daniela V,

Some clients exploit  the new comers and I have experienced the same situation when clients want more work than what they are paying actually. 

Daniela V wrote:

What should I do? (I have 4 other contracts ended with 5 *) This contract ended with 12 dollars ¬ ¬. i want to be top rated i was waiting earn $1000  i am in 98% job score with $850 earned 

The thing you can do is don't worry. The project budget was small and it will not affect your JSS. According to Upwork policy, bigger projects constitute more weight in JSS calculations.   And for being eligible to be Top Rated, your JSS would be 90% or more. I don't think this contract will hurt it. Once Top Rated, you can remove this feedback. 

Muhammad Zeeshan H wrote:

The project budget was small and it will not affect your JSS. 

Of course it will affect her JSS. She has only completed 5 contracts, all releatively small ones. So yes, it will have a significant impact on her JSS. 

The way to minimize the effect is to close more contracts in the next week before the JSS updates, because that contract would, otherwise, potentially drop her belown 90%. (one out of 5 potentially 20%)

Every successfully closed contract will "dilute" the impact!

0a7d2ca9
Community Member

Thanks for your information!. Do you think if i choose to return all the money ($ 12), will this affect me even more than the feedback?
petra_r
Community Member

Daniela V wrote:
Thanks for your information!. Do you think if i choose to return all the money ($ 12), will this affect me even more than the feedback?

It probably won't make it any worse but why should you if you did the work? Look forward and get as much new business with great outcomes under your belt as you can. Not only will that dilute the impact of that contract, it will also push it down the list.

Don't look back. You're not going that way! 🙂

Good luck!

susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

As a fellow "newish" freelancer, I'm just going to offer encouragement! That JSS score causes needless worry - in me, as well, so I get where you're coming from. 

I took the liberty of looking at your profile - to me, what it looks like is one misplaced disgruntled client. The rest of your reviews are great and prospective clients are going to see that. 

The one piece of advice I will offer is to be more selective with your jobs. Don't settle for such little pay. It took me awhile to get started because I refused to write for $5 or $10. There are good clients out there who pay what we're worth. Hang in there, and look for those because JSS is now directly looped into the price of the job. You can get dinged in certain circumstances for a bunch of low-paying jobs, as I understand it.

tlbp
Community Member

Just ignore the feedback and continue to do good work for your other clients. Avoid cheap clients in the future and know that giving into their demands won't keep them from giving you a bad review. 

Refunding a contract in full will remove it from your profile, but the impact on your JSS will remain. I have a few bad reviews on my profile that I keep just to serve as notice to prospective clients that I won't be bullied. 

0a7d2ca9
Community Member

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely be more selective. if i choose to return all the money ($ 12), will this affect me even more than the feedback?

I went and looked at your client. They have only given 5 stars to one of an entire 27 freelancers that they have worked with. Apparently they are just a terrible client that should be completely avoided. Dont feel bad, it isnt just you. 

Kristen H wrote:

I went and looked at your client. They have only given 5 stars to on of an entire 27 freelancers that they have worked with. Apparently they are just a terrible client that should be completely avoided. Dont feel bad, it isnt just you. 

THIS!

Always read previous reviews of other freelancers and check out what they've paid previously. The difficult clients never provide good feedback and always underpay - ALWAYS!

Kristen H wrote:

I went and looked at your client. They have only given 5 stars to one of an entire 27 freelancers that they have worked with. Apparently they are just a terrible client that should be completely avoided. Dont feel bad, it isnt just you. 

0 actually. The highest was a 4.8

Daniela V wrote:
Thanks for your advice, I will definitely be more selective. if i choose to return all the money ($ 12), will this affect me even more than the feedback?

You've received a lot of good advice. Don't return the money even if your score improves a bit. It's not worth it. You gave your time and that's worth something. Plus, you are setting a bad example when this client works with future freelancers. They will target the newbies and try to get more out of them for pennies. 

Definitely seek out work with higher pay. Next time manage expectations upfront (ex: set a # of revisions, outline the scope of work). If the client asks for something beyond what has been agreed to, respond with "I would love to do X for you. It will cost another $Y".

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths