🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unhappy client - Logged 3 hours - Cancel Cont...
Page options
19bedf7a
Community Member

Unhappy client - Logged 3 hours - Cancel Contract?

Hello, I am hoping to get quick help.

I accepted a job offer for an hourly contract 18 hours ago, finished the job and logged three hours of work.

The client turned out to be impossible to work with, asking for things that we never agreed on and I know that he will leave a bad review. I would like to get active, refund him and close the contract and pray that he won't leave a bad review. No money has been paid, but hours have been logged yesterday.

My question: What makes most sense here?
- Wait until I get a (bad) review down the line and not do anything
- close the job, wait until payment comes through and refund him
- close the job, not refunding him and risking getting a (bad) review immediatly

All my clients have been amazing to work with so far and I would consider myself a reasonable freelancer that communicates well. This job is weighing on me and I would like to just box it up and not deal with it anymore. Ideally without hurting my future JSS. I don't have one yet, but I am sure this will change soon as the job described would have been my 13th job already.

Thank you in advance for any advice! Has anyone else be in a similar situation? How did you deal with it?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Vanessa K.

Keep in mind that refunding the full amount of the value of this job will only guarantee that the client's public "feedback" will not appear in your profile list of jobs. This will have absolutely no effect on the client's much more important (in terms of JSS calculation) private feedback, which you cannot have deleted unless you are Top-Rated.

Close the contract if you just can't work for this client and provide clear, concise and accurate feedback, so potential future clients will know what you consider to be unacceptable behavior and other freelancers will know what they are in for when considering whether to work with this client.

If the client leaves then inaccurate written "feedback" you can also reply to it. Some freelancers are afraid to do so. I think you owe it to yourself to stand up to bad clients and their inaccurate claims.

Don't offer any refund. Get paid the money you worked for. 

Good luck!

P.S. Keep in mind that the client's private feedback might not even have any effect on the calculation of your JSS. Upwork has clearly said:

"We understand that some projects have bad outcomes because the client is difficult to work with. So we track freelancer feedback of clients and flag those clients with a history of poor collaboration. If one of your clients has been flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), then the client's feedback will not count against your score."

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing whether this policy applies to this client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
6bfcdaf8
Community Member

It's an hourly job, do what they are asking for but let them know that they will be charged for it. Don't be scared of jss. I have 100% and i lost jobs to freelancers with 80%. The decision algorithm of clients are completely different and jss is not the single parameter

jaycrutcher
Community Member

Bad feedback is going to hurt you right now. Looks like you're really close to a possible Top Rated badge too, so if you could avoid bad feedback for a week then you might have another option if they are inclined to be spiteful. Are these things he is asking for within your ability to provide? If so and you are comfortable doing the work, and have explained to him how long it will take, then take the extra work.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Vanessa K.

Keep in mind that refunding the full amount of the value of this job will only guarantee that the client's public "feedback" will not appear in your profile list of jobs. This will have absolutely no effect on the client's much more important (in terms of JSS calculation) private feedback, which you cannot have deleted unless you are Top-Rated.

Close the contract if you just can't work for this client and provide clear, concise and accurate feedback, so potential future clients will know what you consider to be unacceptable behavior and other freelancers will know what they are in for when considering whether to work with this client.

If the client leaves then inaccurate written "feedback" you can also reply to it. Some freelancers are afraid to do so. I think you owe it to yourself to stand up to bad clients and their inaccurate claims.

Don't offer any refund. Get paid the money you worked for. 

Good luck!

P.S. Keep in mind that the client's private feedback might not even have any effect on the calculation of your JSS. Upwork has clearly said:

"We understand that some projects have bad outcomes because the client is difficult to work with. So we track freelancer feedback of clients and flag those clients with a history of poor collaboration. If one of your clients has been flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), then the client's feedback will not count against your score."

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing whether this policy applies to this client.

tlsanders
Community Member

I can't understand why you're even considering refunding him. How do you feel that benefits you?

19bedf7a
Community Member

Thank you all for your responses! Now that some time passed, I think I was shocked by his behaviour and freaked out. I guess I have been very lucky that I never had to work for anyone like him.

I accidentally deleted all the hours, but added a portion of it back on (not the professional way, but there was nothing professional about this job in the first place!) and will close out the job, send him a message just telling him nicely that his way of handling freelancers is nit great and will also leave a review. This was a small job and I now have 1 hour logged from previously 3 hours. I think if I get a bad review on a 1 hour job, it should be smaller than feeling the bad impact of a closed out job without any earnings.

It is sad that we are not better protected in a situation like this. I feel like this client can walk all over me and my reputation right now. It has definelty taught me to be more careful when accepting job offers and listen to warning signs. 

Vanessa,

There is a lot of strategy involved in correctly using Upwork's systems, knowing Upwork's rules and protocols and working with current and prospective clients in a way that serves the client well and best protects your own interests. It takes time to figure it all out.

Good luck!

lysis10
Community Member

Go into the work diary and delete all time.

19bedf7a
Community Member

Thank you everyone for replying! I ended up logging one hour of work, closed out the contract, left a review for him and messaged him then blocked him. He never left a review so it was never reflected in my JSS.

In the future, I will not refund any time. I will just hope that I don't get a review and leave it alone. This was my first difficult client and I freaked out a little bit right after. But I never heard from him again and I moved on.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths