cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid 2hr+consultancy to break down project goals and tasks. How to get paid ?

lassom
Luigi A Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
1 of 8

I helped a client in evaluating the job proposal he requested, with almost 2.5 hours consultancy concerning design and research methodologies as first milestone - inception.

He shared database would like to treat, asked how to treat them, ask for statistical methodology to treat them, I guided him to set a clear research and goal proposition before looking into methodology, which will follow, and help him with examples and user cases.

We agreed that he would have defined a draft written project with defined objectives and actions to do in his project.

Over the skype call he appeared very enthusiastic, he bonded with me by saying he was living in Italy too, and that it was so rare to find a background like my one, with experience in both international development sector (his sector) and design thinking and technical background (the scope of his project).

He agreed to pay me the first milestone, appreciated and valued the time for my consultancy.
But after, he vanished: he did not replied to neither upwork messages nor skype.

This would have been my first work.
I am used to set an inception milestone to consult the client about feasibility of the project and planning the project, if not provided with a written description or TOR from the client.

Which best practices to ensure a client will pay for tasks that are verbally carried out (like advisory, provision of knowledge and know-how, rather than deliverable) ?

How to get back with client and solicit for payment?

Which is the statistics of unpaying clients on upwork?

Thank you so much.

Disclose: I provide screenshots for the sole purpose to provide evidence of an advisory consultancy.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 8

@Luigi A wrote:

I helped a client in evaluating the job proposal he requested, with almost 2.5 hours consultancy concerning design and research methodologies as first milestone - inception.

On Upwork, you are hired when:

- The contract is active and the milestone(s) is/are funded, for fixed price jobs,

- the contract is active, for hourly jobs.

Everything else is volunteer work.

The scammer you've been working for for free, immediately saw that you were naive and took advantage of this. He paid you with smiles and kind words.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 8

Hi Luigi,

Unfortunately, you weren't hired for this job. You should never start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab.

If you go to Find Work > Proposals you will be able to check whether any of your proposals were accepted. Proposals you see in the "Active Candidacies" or "Invitations to Interview" sections have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

Which best practices to ensure a client will pay for tasks that are verbally carried out (like advisory, provision of knowledge and know-how, rather than deliverable) ?

Fixed-Price contracts with funded Milestones are most suited to this type of work.

How to get back with client and solicit for payment?

Ask your client to award you the job, so they will be able to process the payment for the work you have already delivered. 

Which is the statistics of unpaying clients on upwork?

We don't have this information but if you follow the advice shared above, our ToS and use Upwork Payment Protection, you'll get paid for the work you provide.

Please read these safety tips and I strongly advise you to go through this list of resources before submitting new proposals.

Untitled

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

re: "How to get back with client and solicit for payment?"

You probably can't.

Next time, don't work for free.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 8

Luigi, oftentimes when someone learns something the hard way they don't repeat their mistakes or certainly should not repeat them.  Hopefully you've learned some valuable lessons with this experience.  The sad thing is that this could have been prevented if you would have reviewed even some of the absolute abundance of information within "Help and Support" and within this Community.  I'll never understand why so many people decide to take the plunge without doing this.  Out of curiosity, Luigi, why did you do this?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

re: "Which best practices to ensure a client will pay for tasks that are verbally carried out (like advisory, provision of knowledge and know-how, rather than deliverable) ?"

You should always try to arrange to use an hourly contract for this type of work.

Many freelancers simply won't accept fixed-price contracts for work which doesn't result in clearly-defined deliverables.

lassom
Luigi A Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
7 of 8

The bid I offered was fixed-price with milestones.
I now changed the offer as one-time payment, reflecting the fee of the delivered milestone and invited the client to award the project.

Someone ask why conceding time for "free".
Some projects are vague in their TOR, and need more clarification.
I am not a fan of ultra-detailed TOR, but a clear goal and clarity of feasaibility is necessary to ensure deliverability.

Engaging the client in understanding type of clarificaiton is also, in my point of view, a job - an inception phase that require also a bit of research on my side.
Once I begin the conversation, I help the client understand what is missing and what would be best to define the project if some information is unclear.

Which are your suggestions to empathise with a client, despite lack of a personal interaction, and keep a first conversation short but sufficient to gain trust for considering a job award?
Consider also scenario of a job that would require clarification on deliverables after a job has been awarded, and that means ensure that could deliver satifisfactoin once a job has been awarded.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 8

lol 2.5 hours. So how much money was the contract worth?

I tell them they get 15 mins and then get angry with myself when it slips into 30 mins and I'm all OK thx bye c u later gotta go send me contract 

I don't even really look at much of the documents they send me until I'm hired. I usually skim it and the website.

2.5 hours though mannn I would hate myself if I blew that much time on a dead end but my contracts are usually small at first. If the contract is really small I reject phone calls and thanks to all the fraud profiles i'm getting more requests for phone calls but I'm not getting on a phone call over $100 blog post.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS