cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpleasant Client experience

mankynde
Saveen S Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
1 of 16

I just recently sent in a proposal to work with a prospective client. She sent me a prologue and asked if i could write a 500 word continuation to it and send it to her so that she could review it and then compare choose between me and another prospective writer. I obliged and submitted the piece as requested. 

Question - How does Upwork.com ensure that the 500 word piece i wrote for her is not used by her, in the event that i am not selected. As far as i am concerned this looks like a ploy to get people to write for her for free, while she is supposedly "evaluating" the work from another writer.

Also, I want to inform you that, I was informed by the prospective client that i was not selected, which is fair enough, i may be lacking somewhere,

But i had asked her if i could see the other person's writing, just for my learning and feedback, she replied that it was not correct and unprofessional. I disagreed with her but closed the conversastion there and let it rest.

She is now misrepresenting and misquoting me via messages saying that i am forcing her to show me the other person's writing and forcing her to hire me. This is not true. She is now harassing me. I have thrice tried to cut the conversation with her after replying to her messages, but she insists that i am forcing her to display the 'other' person's writing piece and make her hire me. I have no intention of being hired by her or work with her in any way !

Please advise.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 16

Asking for free work is not allowed on Upwork.

Asking to see another applicant's work is completely and utterly unprofessional. What were you THINKING?

In future don't do free work, and once a client declines your application, LEAVE THEM ALONE!

As far as the client harassing you is concerned, you can just block them. STOP arguing with a client, nothing good can ever come of that.

mankynde
3 of 16

hmmm.... I understand what you said. I only asked to see the other writers piece, because i assumed that it was only a 'test' piece, and was not going to be used in the acutal work, also i thought i could get a feedback of sorts, about what and where i am lacking.....i suppose my naivety just boiled over in this case.

Thank you for your feedback,  I appreciate it.

c_clover
Ace Contributor
Christine C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
4 of 16

Sigh, only too true...

c_clover
Ace Contributor
Christine C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
5 of 16

Although, as has been said before, out in the "real world" clients and agencies often ask for sample work before- hand. It is pretty standard behavior on their part, whether or not it is right.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 16

@Christine C wrote:

Although, as has been said before, out in the "real world" clients and agencies often ask for sample work before- hand. It is pretty standard behavior on their part, whether or not it is right.

Has that been said before? I've certainly been asked for existing samples of my past work, but in 20+ years of freelancing I can only recall one or two instances in which a prospective client asked me to create an unpaid test piece, and both turned out to be low-paying mills.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 16

@Christine C wrote:

As others have suggested, Christine, that's what a portfolio is for. The sample in this case would be a portfolio.

In any case, asking for a free test piece in Upwork is not allowed, regardless of whether it's standard practice elsewhere.

vieniav
Ace Contributor
Phat D Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
8 of 16

You shouldn't have done that 'test writing' for her. It is against Upwork TOS for a client to ask for an unpaid test before hiring. I have declined many invitations that requires submission of a worked out solution for the 'first 10 rows of data to see if you can do it before I hire you'. I think this can be reported to CS.

mankynde
9 of 16

Lesson learnt, no 'Test Writing' !

ben_amara-ali
Ali B Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
10 of 16
  1. I think never, ever do free Test Writing would be the right solution.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS