Did you mean: 

Unpleasant Client experience

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
11 of 16

Hi Saveen,

I see our agent followed up on your ticket and forwarded your report to our team. I'll reiterate that requesting free work is a violation of Upwork ToS and would advise you to review the safety tips we shared.

Untitled

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 16

re: "But i had asked her if i could see the other person's writing, just for my learning and feedback"

Saveen:

I have never heard of anybody doing that.

My advice is to learn from the mistakes that you made while interacting with this client.

Now you know that you should not do free work. And of course you should not ask to see other people's work.

Just be gracious and grateful for the fact that you were not terminated permanently from Upwork.

I think you can succeed and prosper in the future if you learn and move forward.

lizablau
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
13 of 16

"Although, as has been said before, out in the "real world" clients and agencies often ask for sample work before- hand. It is pretty standard behavior on their part, whether or not it is right."

Huh? I've never had a professional client or agency outside of Upwork ask for free work. If they need to gauge skills and talent, that's what portfolios are for. 

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
14 of 16

@Lisa B wrote:

"Although, as has been said before, out in the "real world" clients and agencies often ask for sample work before- hand. It is pretty standard behavior on their part, whether or not it is right."

Huh? I've never had a professional client or agency outside of Upwork ask for free work. If they need to gauge skills and talent, that's what portfolios are for. 

Personally, I agree!

In my experience as a writer (outside of Upwork), the companies who do ask for a "free sample" have always, always, always been lowball clients. To be certain, I'm in the midst of cautious negotiations with a non-Upwork client - and, I'm concerned this is going to also be the case. 

Now, if it were some astronomical contract with a huge tech company or another industry giant--maybe (though on the writing side of things, every entity who fit this description has paid me to write a sample). 

Caveat: I know other FLs who have stated in the B&M world, such "free" samples are the norm (I could be mis-remembering, though). 

mankynde
Saveen S Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
15 of 16
I agree 100%, thanks for the advice
mankynde
Saveen S Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
16 of 16

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that the UpWork Customer support looked into the complaint i had made about client , with whom, i had an unfortunate experience with.

THey researched the matter and confirmed to me that the client had indeed used / tried using the free test piece i had writen for her as an extension to her prologue.

The Upwork support has informed me that appropriate action has been taken against the client.

Good Work UpWork !

thanks again !

- Mankynde

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS