Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrealistically high budgets

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 11

I never thought that I'd be on here complaining about clients whose budgets are too high, but I've been noticing some weirdly high budgets on fixed price projects in the graphic design category lately. I probably charge higher rates than most freelancers on Upwork but I've seen some projects with budgets of around $1,500 where I would personally bid, say $600 and consider it fair pay.

So what's the problem, you ask? Well, when I look at the actual history of many of these clients, it says that they've paid really small amounts for all of their previous projects, like $5/hour. It makes me wonder if some clients are posting really high budgets so that their projects get a lot of attention and bids, but they have no intention of paying anywhere close to this amount. Has anyone else noticed this?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 11

@Christine A wrote:

I never thought that I'd be on here complaining about clients whose budgets are too high, but I've been noticing some weirdly high budgets on fixed price projects in the graphic design category lately. I probably charge higher rates than most freelancers on Upwork but I've seen some projects with budgets of around $1,500 where I would personally bid, say $600 and consider it fair pay.

So what's the problem, you ask? Well, when I look at the actual history of many of these clients, it says that they've paid really small amounts for all of their previous projects, like $5/hour. It makes me wonder if some clients are posting really high budgets so that their projects get a lot of attention and bids, but they have no intention of paying anywhere close to this amount. Has anyone else noticed this?

It's called "phishing".  🙂

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 11

ha well, prices on here are below average, so a high budget could be someone who is used to industry standard, but the reality of it is that this scenario is probably not the right answer. lol unfortunately

IME, it's just an old fashion bait and switch and they are preying on naive freelancers. In some cases, you read the description and the work is far more than even the high budget.

I've let go of 2 high budget jobs this year. One was on upwork and the other was somewhere else. The story is the same for both. They threw a high budget at me but when I got in to the job details, it was actually too low. One was with a $10,000 budget, but I estimated it would be $25k for me to do it. Their budget was actually too low. They came up to $15k, but I figured it still wasn't worth it. Had they come to maybe $20k I might have compromised but nope let it go.

The other one was $20k but the site it was through took 35% and has no escrow, so I told the site PM I would need some kind of upfront payment, escrow and their budget needed to come up due to the high fees and I kinda figured I'd lose that one.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
4 of 11

It isn't clients who are used to the industry standard or who have particularly long or complicated jobs; like I said, their previous hiring history gives them away. I first started noticing these types of projects two or three weeks ago and dismissed the first few as anomalies, but now I've seen a bunch more. I wonder if this is advice that some self-styled "guru" is passing around as the latest "trick" when posting online projects, like a few years ago when a ton of clients started writing "This is an easy job for someone who knows what they're doing" in order to attract low bids.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 11

Maybe who knows. I've seen them every once in a while. I get invited to some of them. It's just a bait and switch really, which is nothing new.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 11

Or maybe they accidentally omitted a decimal point. Cat Tongue

7 of 11

Ha! That may well be the case. Too often it's the reverse - whenever I see a huge project posted with a fixed price of $50, I feel like responding, "Do you mean, per hour?"

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 11

I have seen that, but I've also seen the opposite. On one recent job, the posted budget was slightly more than twice my regular rate for the work described (and my rate is on the high end). I bid my regular rate, and the client hired me at my bid rate, but then went ahead and paid the full amount he'd originally posted.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
9 of 11

That's great - it's always nice to be appreciated!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 11

@Christine A wrote:

That's great - it's always nice to be appreciated!

It is, but in this case I honestly think the client just had a budget for the project planned and that's what he paid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS