🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unreasonable Feedback from a client
Page options
davindungu254
Community Member

Unreasonable Feedback from a client

I want to report a history of unreasonable feedback from a certain client.

6 REPLIES 6
robin_hyman
Community Member

Have you worked for this client?  Define "unreasonable".

wlyonsatl
Community Member

David,

You can vent about client feedback here, but no one here can do anything helpful other than commiserate.

And some regular posters here won't care. The best you'll get from them is a few smarmy responses. You can be forgiven for thinking these particular people have nothing better to do.

Work hard, do your best and your feedback and Job Success Scores will have to take care of themselves. 

Good luck

colettelewis
Community Member

David N wrote:

I want to report a history of unreasonable feedback from a certain client.

David,

You are going to have to take this on the chin. The feedback is not wonderful, but it is not totally terrible. 

I think what you should do is to go through your work again perhaps with a colleague and try and assess where you might have gone wrong; and then see where you could have improved on it, so that this will not happen with future jobs. 

You could also refund the client (definitely not advisable), and the public feedback will disappear, but that would eventually negatively impact your future JSS, which ultimately could be worse for your finding future jobs than a mediocre feedback on a first job. 

Don't get despondent or angry; most of us get bad feedback sooner or later and it's hard to take. But it is always a good idea to analyze where one has gone wrong - a client isn't always unreasonable. 

David,

You appear to have a total of 4 completed jobs with feedback.

Of the 4, only one is even slightly negative (and that 1 is quite reasonably polite in its negativity). 

Of course if you feel this feedback was unfair you do have the option to ask the client to change it. But in this case, I personally cannot advise you to use that option as this client's feedback reads as fair and very reasonable.

As Nichola expressed, your best course may be to look at this single feedback as a learning experience.

Feedback is subjective.

By definition, ALL feedback on Upwork is simultaneously:

- unreasonable

[and also]

- reasonable

It would depend on one's perspective.

Feedback written by somebody else, which may strike me as "unreasonable," was written by a presumably rational human being who presumably thought that the feedback was "reasonable."

So the fact that a freelancer considers feedback "unreasonable" is not in and of itself actionable.

However: If feedback violates Upwork ToS, then it is quite possible to have the feedback removed or edited.

Preston H wrote:

By definition, ALL feedback on Upwork is simultaneously:

- unreasonable

[and also]

- reasonable

The Schrödinger's feedback

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths