🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unreasonable behavior by client in Project Ca...
Page options
_bakhtawar
Community Member

Unreasonable behavior by client in Project Catalog

A new client booked one of my starter projects from project catalog. He asked for a very general article and upon reciept added specific instructions and said he was sorry for not adding them before, I accomodated him to the best of my ability. After a silence of 4 days he came back with accusations that I had plagarized and used A.I when I obviously had not (I've worked on Upwork for 7 years now with 100% job success and top rated status and have been a content writer for 15 years in total and all my current clients are long-term), and also I have no clue how to even use A.I for writing or anything else. He used very unprofessional language like 'that is cheating', 'don't cry if you've been caught.'

I am very upset by the way this client has treated me. The fact that he is threatening me is a kind of harassment. He is threatening to 'report' me to Upwork and provide 'proof'. I still told him I will give him a full refund as I respect the fact that he is for whatever reason dissatified with my work, but apparently he never put any money in escrow to begin with as I clicked the refund button and didn't find any prior funding.
The proof he is refering to is a few missed commas in some sort of spell-checker and the fact that his 10 or 12 year old son checked the article and a software he made at home makes the above claims about my article.

Can anyone guide me as to what I should do? Does Upwork simply entertain unreasonable and unfounded complaints like this against long-established freelancers that have worked for years on the platform? Will this affect my JSS score and rating?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Bakhtawar,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with a client. I would like to clarify that Upwork does not verify the feedback and rating left by the user for its accuracy. Freelancers can help by leaving feedback for all clients so we are able to flag unfair ones. If fraud is encountered, it’s important to report it. If we determine a client committed fraud, we immediately remove the client from the platform. Please use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the site to report any suspicious activity.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
spectralua
Community Member

Upwork dont care about lie in feedbacks. Only ToS violations.

Do not return money to this scammer! You can remove feedback with TopRated perk. In any case he can leave negative private feedback, you cannot avoid this. So if you not refunded then you will have money and bad feedback, if refunded then you will get no money and negative feedback.

Complaints about what? Job done is job done. Client may like or not like job but must pay it.

_bakhtawar
Community Member

Except this client seems dangerous, to avoid paying or incurring any penalties himself, he can probably report something entirely inaccurate and serious. How do I prevent a backlash on my JSS score and rating? Does Upwork have any regulations to protect freelancers from fraudulent people who do this kind of behaviour to not have to pay? Is there a way I can report him to protect other freelancers (I'm not even interested in getting my money back as I've canceled the project- this is about the principles of Upwork as a platform), as I don't think freelancers can access a client profile to click on a 'report' option. Please help. 

Hi Bakhtawar,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with a client. I would like to clarify that Upwork does not verify the feedback and rating left by the user for its accuracy. Freelancers can help by leaving feedback for all clients so we are able to flag unfair ones. If fraud is encountered, it’s important to report it. If we determine a client committed fraud, we immediately remove the client from the platform. Please use the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the site to report any suspicious activity.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
_bakhtawar
Community Member

Thank you for the replies, I have decided to write this experience off as a bad one, I ended the contract and left private feedback with all the details as that is all I can do, I wasn't able to find a report button anywhere connected with the client's information as I can't open his profile. I am disabling my project catalog option as I think it attracts clients like this who want a task done quickly without the hassle of a conventional contract and then plan to refuse to pay using a lame excuse. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members