cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable, unresponsive clients

Kriszta P Member Since: May 20, 2019
11 of 13

I don't really see the relevance of the mental hospital "clients" here. Sure, everything could be worse. (if I worked in a morgue, I wouldn't complain that all my "clients" are unresponsive...). But thanks anyway.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 13

Kriszta P wrote:

I don't really see the relevance of the mental hospital "clients" here. Sure, everything could be worse. (if I worked in a morgue, I wouldn't complain that all my "clients" are unresponsive...). But thanks anyway.

Preston was trying to explain that if you fail to understand the nature of the person you are dealing with and are not prepared to appropriately respond, you are likely to be unhappy with the outcome. 

Someone who asks you for advice through a series of messages is not a client, they are someone to whom you are giving free advice. Someone who asks you to significantly lower your fees does not value your time or your work and is unlikely to change their opinion. 

Upwork doesn't provide freelancers with clients, but with leads. It is then up to the individual freelancer to assess and qualify those leads before choosing which ones to pursue. It is you who chooses the leads you want to nurture and convert into clients. Learning to choose wisely--to recognize the nature of those you are dealing with--is part of the job of being a freelancer.

Value yourself as a skilled professional and don't give those who don't a minute of your time. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 13

Quality control is your job. You have to learn to recognize the red flags and bypass bad clients. It may take a little time to recognize those clients quickly, but it happens, and you'll find that there are plenty of good ones behind them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS