Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive Client for 3-Months, Refund Requested

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
1 of 9

Hello All, 

I am looking for a suggestion. I started working with a client 3 months ago. The interview went great and the milestone was funded. Everything was discussed except the specific keyword for the 1st blog. 

She promised to send keywords by the next weekend. but nothing happened. I kept trying to contact her through Skype, email, Upwork, LinkedIn....

Now as per escrow guidelines, Upwork has ended the contract and I am requested to refund the first milestone. 

My question is, what should be my response?

Should I just refund the money? I am aware that will affect my JSS. 

Should I start a dispute and force the client to contact me?

I am not looking for a full payment since work was not delivered. However, I have spent time during the interview, creating a content marketing plan, and contacting them several times. 

Looking forward to your answers. 

Thanks.

S.K.Andaleeb

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

@S.K A wrote:

Hello All, 

I am looking for a suggestion. I started working with a client 3 months ago. The interview went great and the milestone was funded. Everything was discussed except the specific keyword for the 1st blog. 

She promised to send keywords by the next weekend. but nothing happened. I kept trying to contact her through Skype, email, Upwork, LinkedIn....

Now as per escrow guidelines, Upwork has ended the contract and I am requested to refund the first milestone. 

My question is, what should be my response?

Should I just refund the money? I am aware that will affect my JSS. 

Should I start a dispute and force the client to contact me?

I am not looking for a full payment since work was not delivered. However, I have spent time during the interview, creating a content marketing plan, and contacting them several times. 

Looking forward to your answers. 

Thanks.

S.K.Andaleeb

This has happened to me on occasion. You can either refund it yourself or wait (a week I think) and Upwork will automatically do it for you. As the contract has been ended, you are allowed to leave feedback.

You can write a polite note to the client suggesting they pay you for your time etc. However, I definitely would not dispute it. In fact, I don't think you can, unless you have delivered the work (with the agreed fee paid into escrow). The only way the client can now pay you anything, is to give you a bonus payment. (I think this is not likely to happen though.)

A disappointing experience for you, but my $0.02 advice is not to leave a rant as feedback.

You should not have done any work at all for the client such as creating a business plan - if this is what you did during the interview - before your contract and the amount paid into escrow.

View solution in original post

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
3 of 9

Hi Nichola, 

Thanks for your reply. Since no amount was paid, there will be no public feedback. What will be the difference on JSS, If I make a refund or if Upwork does it?

I don't expect a bonus amount or anything like that when a person hasn't spoken in last 3 months. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
4 of 9

Your JSS may not be affected, necessarily. However, as escrow was funded, whatever the outcome of the job, or reason for its ending, you will still be able to leave feedback, and so will your client.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

@Nichola L wrote:

However, as escrow was funded, whatever the outcome of the job, or reason for its ending, you will still be able to leave feedback, and so will your client.

Nothing has been paid, hence no possibility for public feedback. "Funded" does not equal "paid"

colettelewis
Community Guru
6 of 9

Yes, sorry, I was able to leave feedback because the contract was in three parts and the first part had been concluded. Work was not sent for the second (escrow funded) part.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
7 of 9

S. K. Andaleeb, if I were you I'd allow the refund to process, the contract will end, and move on. It stinks that you spent time on a project that never progressed, but in this case it seems better to walk away. My understanding of situations like this is that they do not affect JSS unless it's a pattern. If this is the first time a situation like this has occurred I think you're pretty safe in terms of JSS. Maybe the mods can correct me if I have that wrong, but that's what I believe has been discussed about jobs where no money has been paid. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 9

Even though there will be no public feedback, both client and freelancer will be asked to provide private feedback. 

The reason why the contract was closed and if either would recommend the other will have an impact on the JSS.

The refund itself doesn't matter. 

Edited to add: In cases where Upwork auto-closes a contract there really shouldn't be any negative consequences for a freelancer, in particular, if a client has gone MIA before any work was done. But then again, the algorithm doesn't care about the reason a contract has gone stale...

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
9 of 9

Thank You everyone!

I have chosen to leave the contract as it is. I guess the money will be refunded by Upwork in next 24 hours. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS