🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unresponsive Client
Page options
shelbyfit
Community Member

Unresponsive Client

I am beyond frustrated with an unresponsive client, whom I have contacted numerous times since completing the job. Our contract was for $60, $10 of which he put in escrow. He was quite pushy on the deadline (though I was working my a$$ off to get it done - and did), and then nada. Radio silence. Please help!

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are not obligated to respond to freelancers.

A freelancer submits the work, and Upwork releases ALL OF THE MONEY in escrow AUTOMATICALLY.

A client doesn't need to respond or do anything at all.

You said you completed the job.

When I complete a fixed-price job, I use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button. That's all. I DO NOT contact the client separately.

You don't need any help from anybody. Just click that button and send the work you were paid to do.

Preston H wrote:

A freelancer submits the work, and Upwork releases ALL OF THE MONEY in escrow AUTOMATICALLY.

When I complete a fixed-price job, I use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button. That's all. I DO NOT contact the client separately.

You don't need any help from anybody. Just click that button and send the work you were paid to do.

Do you know how much time to be paid once Upwork releases all the money on escrow?

Eric B wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Do you know how much time to be paid once Upwork releases all the money on escrow?

Once you request payment, the client can release payment at any time. Then the five-day security hold. If the client doesn't release payment, it automatically releases after 14 days. Then the five-day security hold.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

It's impossible to offer specific advice without more details. If you completed and submitted $60 worth of work against $10 in escrow, you can probably just move on with your life now. If the client has disappeared without receiving the completed work, I would first assume there's some reason for that, and give it more time. If feasible, submit $10 worth of the completed work for payment and see if that wakes him up. You'll at least get paid that much. Meanwhile, remind yourself not to work ahead of escrow.

Thanks, Phyllis. I appreciate your help. $60 was his proposed price, which suited the work and the effort I put in, in my opinion. However, the client claimed he only put $10 in escrow because he had dealt with unresponsive freelancers in the past and wanted to ensure a response. I've learned my lesson.

Thanks again!

Amy S wrote:

Thanks, Phyllis. I appreciate your help. $60 was his proposed price, which suited the work and the effort I put in, in my opinion. However, the client claimed he only put $10 in escrow because he had dealt with unresponsive freelancers in the past and wanted to ensure a response. I've learned my lesson.

Thanks again!

If a freelancer disappears, the client can get a refund so he was tricking you into working for $10.

kat303
Community Member

Amy S wrote:

Thanks again!

---------------

No matter what was agreed on or what the proposed price was, what ever is in escrow is what you will get. Clients are not forced to deposit the full amount of the job or milestone. Always check to see what's deposited into escrow BEFORE you start work. If the client doesn't deposit the full amount you could either do x amount of work that would equal the amount funded and let them know that before continuing they need to deposit the rest of the amount, or you could not start at all until the full amount is deposited. 

Escrow is offered here and when clients deposit money into it, it shows the freelancer that they have the funds and they intend to pay. The freelancer can not take what's in escrow until the client releases it or until 14 days go by after clicking on the Submit Work/Request Refund button. The line about unresponsive freelancer is a total scam. If a freelancer is unresponsive a client can close/cancel the contract and all funds in escrow will be returned to them. 

tlbp
Community Member

Never complete more work than the client has funded. This client has taken $60 worth of work from you for $10 and you will probably never hear from them again. They will now go pull the same scam on another freelancer. Close the contract and leave an honest review about them. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths