🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Unresponsive(?) Client
Page options
jennapeterson88
Community Member

Unresponsive(?) Client

I accepted my first contract a couple of weeks ago and the contract indicated that I would be doing roughly 5 documents a week for this client. This is a proof reading contract and the client has to send these documents. I've been sent 1 document, did my turnaround in 2 hours, was thanked, was shown examples of what to do differently on the next one, and then nothing. A week later we finally got hours reporting sorted out for payment, and then once again, nothing. I haven't received a next document. The client hasn't said anything else since. 

Do I ask for the next document or when I should expect it? Do I leave it alone and assume this job isn't what was promised? I don't want to be bothersome, but I'm honestly worried about getting struck my Murphy's Law and having this client suddenly decide we're doing this daily as soon as I accept someone else's contract. I also don't want to end up with bad feedback due to miscommunication on my very first contract. 

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients aren't required to be responsive.

Clients aren't obligated to give you a certain amount of work to do.

The client owes you nothing.

You owe this client nothing.

re: "Do I ask for the next document or when I should expect it?"

No.

The client knows how to find you. Don't contact him. He will contact you if he needs your help.

Fine and dandy, but I'm new to this and nervous that I've missed something big and I'm actually the one being waited on. What happens if this client closes the contract months down the road having never sent a new document or asked for any revisions but then gives me negative feedback for not fulfilling the contract? 

What happens if this client suddenly wants me 40 hours a week after radio silence and I've accepted other work and I'm not available? 

I disagree about the statement "The client owes you nothing". That's precisely what a work contract is - a contract agreeing to a certain amount of ongoing work which is expected to be delivered. Unless directly stated in the contract that the work is supplied "as needed", one can safely assume that this client *does* in fact owe them something (and certainly should).

TL;DR: Contract = client and freelancer engage in a mutual obligation that should be treated as such

sjbercot
Community Member

Hi Jennifer, it's relatively common that sometimes contracts just don't have the workload or schedule expected. It's really up to you how to proceed. You can leave it alone for now if you want to give it some time. If you don't want to keep it open, you can close it yourself or ask for clarification from the client first, and ask them to kindly close it. Either way, they have the opportunity to leave a review within 14 days. You do have an official contract  under My Jobs/All Contracts, right? Just double-checking since I didn't see one on your profile.

By the way, I noticed you have your website linked on your profile page, and that the site contains contact info. We are only allowed to share those kinds of links in proposals, not on our profile. And be sure you are not communicating with Upwork clients outside of the platform until you have a contract in place.

Website removed, just wanted a way for people to see examples of my illustration work but I'll direct them to look up my YouTube name instead to see examples. There's no messaging service there, just a place to view for that purpose. 

Yes I do have a contract if I go to Jobs > All Contracts. 

Wait a couple of weeks of no communication then write a short "Just checking in..." message to the client.

If no reply, do the same after another 14 days.

If no reply, close the project and leave feedback along the lines of "I closed this project after ___ weeks of no communication from client." Add "...would gladly re-start the project at the client's option." - if that's true.

Then forget about this client.

In the meantime, take on new projects. 

Good luck!

tlbp
Community Member

Jennifer R wrote:

I accepted my first contract a couple of weeks ago and the contract indicated that I would be doing roughly 5 documents a week for this client. This is a proof reading contract and the client has to send these documents. I've been sent 1 document, did my turnaround in 2 hours, was thanked, was shown examples of what to do differently on the next one, and then nothing. A week later we finally got hours reporting sorted out for payment, and then once again, nothing. I haven't received a next document. The client hasn't said anything else since. 

Do I ask for the next document or when I should expect it? Do I leave it alone and assume this job isn't what was promised? I don't want to be bothersome, but I'm honestly worried about getting struck my Murphy's Law and having this client suddenly decide we're doing this daily as soon as I accept someone else's contract. I also don't want to end up with bad feedback due to miscommunication on my very first contract. 

There are some clients who are happy to reserve your bandwidth as long as there is no cost to doing so. You have to decide how you want to handle such clients. In this case, I'd probably close the contract. There's not enough investment on either side to demonstrate that this is a lasting relationship. 
If you want to keep the contract open, then you can politely message the client and say, "I'm planning my schedule for June and July, do you plan on sending me any documents in the next few weeks. If so, I'll block out some time for them."

shaunkahler
Community Member

First recommendation is to continue looking for work. Second recommendation is to send a communication, and if not answered, send one more within a week or possibly contact a work channel asking to follow up.

Out of ~30 clients, I've had more than I can count go AWOL on a given occasion. Most of the time it's because they're work busy, sometimes they get back to you later, sometimes they completely disappear.

A great way to get a response is to implement a weekly retainer via message, saying you use it to prevent clients from going missing. I've used this on multiple occasions to get the client to either respond back with more work or to close out the contract. On occasion you'll get a client that agrees to the retainer and then goes AWOL for ages.

I recommend this approach *purely* from a business perspective, not necessarily as "best practice". Still, I find it works great for getting them to respond.

Feel free to use any variation of this that is fitting.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members