Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client - doesnt accept contract

orestis1991
Orestis-Anastasios C Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I have the following issue:

I have completed some work for a client, however, no contract was created and now the client is unresponsive (and thus no payment can be released).

To explain a bit more:

At first I worked with the client for a contract of 280$ (translation of about 100 articles). About a week later I was contacted again, saying if I was interested for some follow up work that was available. 

This time, it was supposed to be 40-60 articles. As it was a very close deadline she send me the first 20 which I worked and sent back translated. The next step was suppose to expect the rest of the articles to be sent once that she would receive them as well.

Those articles never arrived and after about 2 weeks I requested to create a contract for the work that has been completed, apologising for not being available for the rest.

The thing is, I know I am not covered currently by upwork. I feel in this loop as I didnt expect a client who has spent more than 20k, to do such a thing for 60$.

What would be the best course of action from now on according to your opinion?

Thanks for your thoughts and time - I appreciate it deeply

Orestis

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 4

Never, ever work without a contract in place and showing on "My Jobs".  Lesson learned.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 4

Sorry, please tell me you did not translate 100 articles for $ 280?? Those were 400 to 700 word MEDICAL translations..... at half a Cent per word? Are you insane?

That client even had the nerve to post that job as expert level $$$ AND make a long list of quality demands. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

Apart from that, if you don't have a contract and the client is not communicating you will only get paid if the client feels like it (essentially).

don't work without a contract, don't hand over work without funded milestones if fixed price or logging your hours if hourly.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 4

@Petra R wrote:

Sorry, please tell me you did not translate 100 articles for $ 280?? Those were 400 to 700 word MEDICAL translations..... at half a Cent per word? Are you insane?

That client even had the nerve to post that job as expert level $$$ AND make a long list of quality demands. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

This. Just. This.

Let's assume that the articles averaged between the 400 and 700 words, coming in at 550 words each. One hundred such articles totals 55,000 words. I do medical translations myself (French-to-English), and at my VERY BEST, non-rush, friends-and-family, I-have-nothing-else-going-on, the-kid's-tuition-is-due-next-week rate, I would charge $9900.00 for that work. Almost TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS (U.S. currency). And I am hardly the most expensive medical translator out there!!

You are mad. You essentially worked for free. Forget the $60--that is not your problem. The problem is that you are giving away your skilled labor.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS