Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client - help!

mgmason1975
Community Leader
Matthew M Member Since: May 22, 2013
1 of 7
Okay, so I started a job with a client in April... they were dishonest about the length of work but I let it pass because it seemed quick and easy. I got feedback for the first couple - "they are fine, please proceed". So I sent the rest of them, all ten completed and she told me she would come back to me within a day or two with feedback and if all is well, with payment. That was six weeks ago and despite having sent several emails, I have had no response. Furthermore, this client is still listing jobs on the site and is getting good feedback. Is there anything I or odesk can do to prompt them to at least respond? They know I am happy to make changes to their work, as minor changes were requested to the first two articles and I did so quickly and without complaint. Has anybody else experienced this? Frustrated...
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7
Hi Matthew, I am sorry you have had a bad experience with the client and haven't been paid for your work yet. Please, report this issue to Customer Support so they can try and contact the client on your behalf. I hope this problem will get resolved soon.
~ Valeria
Upwork
mgmason1975
Community Leader
3 of 7
I have reported it, many thanks for your help (both of you). It's frustrating more than anything because it doesn't seem that the client is a scammer with so much work and positive feedback. I'll wait and see now. I've also done a google search and it doesn't appear that any of my work is presently being used on the web.
e_gan
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
4 of 7
I've got paid once, work was accepted fuss-free but this client has only responded to my requests / questions TWICE in a span of 1 month?! She was clearly interested in wanting me completing these designs yet went dead silent weeks after! She has yet to reply, hasn't ended the contract, her account was suspended by Odesk... Hence I gave up trying to get her attention and focused on other ongoing contracts. I still have remaining designs to complete, but it seems as if they are no longer important to chase me up, how strange! So my advice is, as long you're still paid, ignore and move on. If you're ready to end this contract, you can spill the beans on feedback, your client might treat it as a wake up call (bad rep on oDesk) or boot out of oDesk. You can report to support and they assist by contacting them on your behalf. They did for me once, was appreciated. I guess it's a wait and wait game.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 7
Sorry that you guys have experienced this. I know the feeling!
rscasny
Randall S Member Since: Oct 10, 2010
6 of 7
I read your comment about a non-responsive client. Well, good feedback is pretty meaningless because often times people just click through 5's without thinking about it. Unless the feedback is based upon an external authority, it's meaningless.

If the client has not responded in 6 weeks, you have a problem.

Actually, if he isn't responding in a week or so, it's time to stop work.

I've been on odesk for nearly 4 years and this is the first year i have had problem with non-responsive clients. I think it has to do with the fact that 4 years ago odesk was smaller and its customers were more local and professional. Now, it has a much broader global reach and the con-artists have found it easy to game the system and get free work with very little penalties if any.

The bottom line is a contractor has to be more proactive in protecting himself. Randall

mgmason1975
Community Leader
7 of 7
I have been very cautious, this person has a LOT of work history and is still offering contracts and paying contractors. This should be a model client according their work history. I am waiting for a response now but not holding out much hope.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS