🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unresponsive client turns out he doesn't like...
Page options
lunakirsche
Community Member

Unresponsive client turns out he doesn't like my work...

Hello everyone, 

In 32 successful jobs on Upwork, this is the first time something like this happens to me and I don't know how to deal with it...

I started this project 2 weeks ago and this client didn't like the first designs so I redesigned new proposals and then the client went silent for 10 days... Yesterday he replied and said he didn't like the new designs either... 

I suggested he could provide better images to use on the designs, because I was using free stock images and maybe what was not giving the perfect look... Or if he doesn't want to work with me anymore, that's fine for me, I would submit the files anyway and to get payed for what I've done so far.

Once again, absolute silence.

What should I do to get my payment?

Thank you all!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are NEVER required to like the work that a freelancer does.

Clients are not required to use the work that you provide to them.

But it is unprofessional and unethical for a client to hire a freelancer to do work for him, and then not pay her for that work.

Was this a fixed-price contract?

When I have a fixed-price contract, then I submit the work using the official "Submit Work / Request Payment" button. I do that as soon as I have done the work. I do not ask the client if the work is done. Because that is the purpose of the button.

If the client does not do anything, then I am paid automatically for the work (after 14 days).

You should of course use the official green "Submit Work" button.

If the client blocks payment by using his "request changes" button, then you may need to communicate directly with the client and work out a compromise.

If you can't work out an agreement with the client, then you may need to file a dispute. But I always consider that a last resort. if a client claims to not like the work that I have done, then I might explain to the client that he does NOT need to pay for the work, and that instead I can keep the work and use it as a portfolio item. Or I can work out an agreement with the client in which he will release only half of the money in escrow, and I will immediately refund the remaining half to him.

You have options. Feel free to discuss your situation further with us in this thread. But the first thing to do when you have finished a fixed-price task is always to submit the work and accept auto-payment if the client does nothing at all.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are NEVER required to like the work that a freelancer does.

Clients are not required to use the work that you provide to them.

But it is unprofessional and unethical for a client to hire a freelancer to do work for him, and then not pay her for that work.

Was this a fixed-price contract?

When I have a fixed-price contract, then I submit the work using the official "Submit Work / Request Payment" button. I do that as soon as I have done the work. I do not ask the client if the work is done. Because that is the purpose of the button.

If the client does not do anything, then I am paid automatically for the work (after 14 days).

You should of course use the official green "Submit Work" button.

If the client blocks payment by using his "request changes" button, then you may need to communicate directly with the client and work out a compromise.

If you can't work out an agreement with the client, then you may need to file a dispute. But I always consider that a last resort. if a client claims to not like the work that I have done, then I might explain to the client that he does NOT need to pay for the work, and that instead I can keep the work and use it as a portfolio item. Or I can work out an agreement with the client in which he will release only half of the money in escrow, and I will immediately refund the remaining half to him.

You have options. Feel free to discuss your situation further with us in this thread. But the first thing to do when you have finished a fixed-price task is always to submit the work and accept auto-payment if the client does nothing at all.

It's fixed price, yes.

Thank you very much Preston, I'll do that.

Maria,

I am always initially suspicious of new clients who tell me their project is "urgent."

I assume, until I find out otherwise, that they are either incompetent or are hoping to get quick work and walk away after they've gotten what they wanted from me. (OK, I'm a cynic on this particular issue with potential new Upwork clients.)

I always require a) at least a 30% premium for rushing the work and b) an upfront payment (escrowed and released) for half the total value of a fixed price project. If it's an hourly project, the 30% premium still applies.

If a potential client refuses that arrangement, I thank them for considering my proposal and never give that client any more thought.

I have plenty of other clients and potential clients to keep me busy, so dealing with rushed work is not something I care to deal with if the client raises any red flags in my Spidey Sense.

Good luck.

Will L wrote:

Maria,

I am always initially suspicious of new clients who tell me their project is "urgent."

I assume, until I find out otherwise, that they are either incompetent or are hoping to get quick work and walk away after they've gotten what they wanted from me. (OK, I'm a cynic on this particular issue with potential new Upwork clients.)

I always require a) at least a 30% premium for rushing the work and b) an upfront payment (escrowed and released) for half the total value of a fixed price project. If it's an hourly project, the 30% premium still applies.

If a potential client refuses that arrangement, I thank them for considering my proposal and never give that client any more thought.

I have plenty of other clients and potential clients to keep me busy, so dealing with rushed work is not something I care to deal with if the client raises any red flags in my Spidey Sense.

Good luck.

Hi Will, thanks!

That's right. Normally, for fixed price projects I like to work by milestones, but this client Job post was hourly, but he changed for fixed price when he opened the contract and I fell for it, my mistake.

Lets see how the Dispute ends.

Thank you very much!

For future projects, only deliver a low-res watermarked demo for 90% of the price (as first milestone) then the rest of the files when the client "likes" the design.

This client never intended to pay you. Don't accept any sort of refund since it would only encourage him to continue the practice on other people. If you did the work as described and agreed, he can't claim a refund and hope to get it. Continue through the dispute process. Reject any alternative solutions, pay the arbitration fee if you need to, and wait.

Then share the story in the feedback you leave for the job. Also reply to the feedback you receive, with the same details.

client delay the work we complete this work for his requirement this feedback is too much and we fixed it for this requirement. they cannot realize my payment .project is 500$ and the In Escrow 100$ and do not realize my first payment, please help me

*UPDATE*

The Client refuse to pay for the designs I did so far, he canceled the project and now I oppened a dispute...

This is so stressfull... It's so hard to deal with things that happen for the first time in our professional lives.

jr-translation
Community Member

Maria B wrote:

Hello everyone, 

In 32 successful jobs on Upwork, this is the first time something like this happens to me and I don't know how to deal with it...

I started this project 2 weeks ago and this client didn't like the first designs so I redesigned new proposals and then the client went silent for 10 days... Yesterday he replied and said he didn't like the new designs either... 

I suggested he could provide better images to use on the designs, because I was using free stock images and maybe what was not giving the perfect look... Or if he doesn't want to work with me anymore, that's fine for me, I would submit the files anyway and to get payed for what I've done so far.

Once again, absolute silence.

What should I do to get my payment?

Thank you all!

So you used free stock images, modified them, and then tried to sell them to the client?

Jennifer R wrote:

Maria B wrote:

I suggested he could provide better images to use on the designs, because I was using free stock images and maybe what was not giving the perfect look... So you used free stock images, modified them, and then tried to sell them to the client?

I think that's a HUGE leap. It is perfectly normal for designs to incorporate stock photos. Do you think all those happy smiley people on flyers or websites are specifically photographed for that flyer? That's what stock photos are there for.

Hello Petra, yes, that's right! I was using images that looked like what the client used before, and didn't work because I was trying to figure it out with a poor briefing...

I was going to work with different images, but the client canceled...

tlbp
Community Member

Maria B wrote:

Hello Petra, yes, that's right! I was using images that looked like what the client used before, and didn't work because I was trying to figure it out with a poor briefing...

I was going to work with different images, but the client canceled...

You can try to get paid through the dispute process or let the client have their money back. If you haven't used your top rated perk, you can use that to eliminate the client's feedback from your JSS score (if you want to). 

I have found "urgent" clients to not be worth the hassles. They sometimes offer to pay more to get speedy work but then regret the cost. 

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

I have found "urgent" clients to not be worth the hassles. They sometimes offer to pay more to get speedy work but then regret the cost. 

I usually don't mind rush jobs, but there was one particular client who had a complicated rush job and I rushed it.

The result was 2 mistakes (one typo and one miscalculation between miles and km) She rightly dinged me a star for quality.

I fixed the 2 mistakes and we worked together again afterwards. I am now very careful about rush-jobs! If it is so rushed that I can't QA my work as carefully as I do usually, I turn it down.

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Maria B wrote:

I suggested he could provide better images to use on the designs, because I was using free stock images and maybe what was not giving the perfect look... So you used free stock images, modified them, and then tried to sell them to the client?

I think that's a HUGE leap. It is perfectly normal for designs to incorporate stock photos. Do you think all those happy smiley people on flyers or websites are specifically photographed for that flyer? That's what stock photos are there for.

I know, but some clients see it differently. I am just trying to understand more. Did they agree to use stock photos and did the client give enough input to do the task or was it just another contract with a client that does not know what he wants, but only what he does not like.

What? No. I used free stock images on the social media communication designs I was creating. I don't sell free images.

But this project was so urgent for the client that I didn't suggested him to buy stock images on Shutterstock for example, it was quicker to use royalty free images on the mockups.

The problem with royalty free images is that only a few are good.

Maria B wrote:

What? No. I used free stock images on the social media communication designs I was creating. I don't sell free images.

But this project was so urgent for the client that I didn't suggested him to buy stock images on Shutterstock for example, it was quicker to use royalty free images on the mockups.

I am not accusing you of any wrongdoing but I can see two possible issues in your reply.

a) an urgent project often calls for trouble

b) maybe the client expected the final result and not the mockups.

Jennifer R wrote:

Maria B wrote:

I am not accusing you of any wrongdoing but I can see two possible issues in your reply.

They were mock-ups in the sense that she provided options to the client but wasn't able to finalise them (i.e. because he didn't like anything). 

Maria, this may be the first time that a client hasn't liked your work, but unfortunately it won't be the last; difficult clients who aren't able to articulate their thoughts are an occupational hazard. Try to be philosophical about it (can't win 'em all) and manage the situation. The client doesn't like your work, fine, but don't give him any reasons to doubt your professionalism or your commitment to good customer service. In your place, I would apologise to the client and say that you just weren't a good fit. Offer to give him your mock-ups in Indesign if he'll give you a full payment - they're worth something because at the very least, the next designer won't have to start from scratch (and he'll be able to show them what he DOESN'T want, so he's still gotten something out of the process). If that still doesn't fly, offer a partial refund. It would be better to avoid the dispute process if you're already stressed. Good luck.

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Maria B wrote:

They were mock-ups in the sense that she provided options to the client but wasn't able to finalise them (i.e. because he didn't like anything). 

Maria, this may be the first time that a client hasn't liked your work, but unfortunately it won't be the last; difficult clients who aren't able to articulate their thoughts are an occupational hazard. Try to be philosophical about it (can't win 'em all) and manage the situation. The client doesn't like your work, fine, but don't give him any reasons to doubt your professionalism or your commitment to good customer service. In your place, I would apologise to the client and say that you just weren't a good fit. Offer to give him your mock-ups in Indesign if he'll give you a full payment - they're worth something because at the very least, the next designer won't have to start from scratch (and he'll be able to show them what he DOESN'T want, so he's still gotten something out of the process). If that still doesn't fly, offer a partial refund. It would be better to avoid the dispute process if you're already stressed. Good luck.

Thank you Christine, this is a really nice message!

The client canceled the project after I send him all the open files, and he said he can't use them because doesn't like any of them. He also refuse to pay me and asked a full refund... I opened a Dispute. Let's see how it goes.

Thank you very much!

Maria B wrote:

Thank you Christine, this is a really nice message!

The client canceled the project after I send him all the open files, and he said he can't use them because doesn't like any of them. He also refuse to pay me and asked a full refund... I opened a Dispute. Let's see how it goes.

Thank you very much!

Well, in that case - go get him!

Nothing at Upwork says "If you claim that you don't like the work that the freelancer did, you don't have to pay for it."

That is a very silly notion.

This client either:

a) Does not understand how Upwork works

[or]

b) Does understand, but doesn't care

If this client had done some work for someone else, I'm certain that this client would expect to get paid for that work.

Preston H wrote:

Nothing at Upwork says "If you claim that you don't like the work that the freelancer did, you don't have to pay for it."

This client either:

[or]

If this client had done some work for someone else, I'm certain that this client would expect to get paid for that work.

You keep saying that, but the reality is that design work is subjective, and in order for a client to be happy (and - crucially - give you their repeat business and referrals), they need to "like" what they're paying for. It doesn't help that MANY designers promise unlimited revisions when bidding on projects (it might even be the norm on Upwork), or that people have the mentality these days that if they're not completely satisfied with something for whatever reason, they can return it for a full refund (thanks, Amazon). You can keep telling people your personal views about how things ought to be, but that doesn't change anything or help creative freelancers to navigate these situations.

Exactly my point.

My personal views are not relevant here.

What is important is how the Upwork system works, and how Upwork intends for it to work.

You are correct in pointing out that designers face difficult situations when clients claim they don't like the work. Part of the way to make things better is for all Upwork users - freelancers as well as clients - to understand how to use Upwork properly.

Freelancers should know how the system works. Freelancers should be able to explain the system to clients. Freelancers should know what their "rights" are within the system.

And clients should know what is expected of them. Clients should know what type of client behavior is unprofessional, unethical, and unacceptable.

Clients should know that when they hire a freelancer (including a designer) to work for them using an hourly contract, it means that they pay for the freelancer's time. Claiming that they "don't like" the results is irrelevent. That is not a basis for asking for money back, or for trying to avoid paying. Clients should know that when they hire a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, they money they put into escrow is intended to be released to the freelancer once the task is done. Upwork does not intend that the client get the money back if they claim that they "don't like" some aspect of the freelancer's work.

Like Christine said: "design work is subjective."

A client is not obligated to "like" the work that a creative person has done. But if a client commissions creative work on Upwork, they need to pay for it.

Christine points out: "in order for a client to be happy (and - crucially - give you their repeat business and referrals) they need to 'like' what they're paying for."

This is exactly right. If a client hires a freelancer to do a fixed-price contract, but then doesn't like the work, then the client still needs to pay for it. But the correct thing to do is for the client to NOT give that freelancer their repeat business. The client should only continue working with the freelancers whose work she values the most.

Preston H wrote:

This client either:

[or]

So why does Upwork have an article about it:
https://www.upwork.com/hiring/startup/what-if-im-unhappy-with-a-freelancers-work/ 

and the next time I havt the YouTube add saying "You only pay when you are happe" I will link it.

re: "So why does Upwork have an article about it:
https://www.upwork.com/hiring/startup/what-if-im-unhappy-with-a-freelancers-work/ "

This is a very good question.

If you look at that material and point out that this subject can be confusing... You are right.

Promotional material like this could very well be part of the reason why some clients get the wrong idea about how Upwork works.

If somebody only reads the headline, they could walk away with the wrong idea.

This article puts a positive, client-friendly "spin" on how Upwork functions.

But if someone actually reads what is written there, including the links that are provided, then it is clear that these Upwork-posted materials are technically accurate. This page and the pages that it links to say the same things that I have been saying.

Note how these pages specifically state that freelancers hired using a fixed-price contract get paid for deliverables.

"Payment Protection is designed to ensure that clients get the work they contracted for and that freelancers get paid for the work they deliver."

These pages, including this one:

Escrow for Fixed-Price Jobs

...which is directly linked to by the page you referenced...

All refer to deliverables being provided by the freelancer to the client.

"Escrow is a neutral holding place where we put money aside until the project, or piece of the project, is done. The funds stay there until your freelancer or agency fulfills their obligations and you say you are satisfied those obligations are met and release them."

"On Upwork, you deposit the funds for fixed-price jobs into escrow (one contract, or milestone, at a time) and release them to your freelancer or agency once you’ve received and reviewed the agreed upon work."

There ARE many references to clients being satisfied. This is where confusion can come in. This refers to clients being satisfied that the agreed-upon work has been completed.

Nothing on any of these pages says that a client can claim to not like the completed work and thus get a refund. These materials specifically state that clients can request changes.

Preston H wrote:

re: "So why does Upwork have an article about it:
https://www.upwork.com/hiring/startup/what-if-im-unhappy-with-a-freelancers-work/ "

This is a very good question.

Promotional material like this could very well be part of the reason why some clients get the wrong idea about how Upwork works.

If somebody only reads  the headline, they could walk away with the wrong idea.

This article puts a positive, client-friendly "spin" on how Upwork functions.

But if someone actually reads what is written there, including the links that are provided, then it is clear that these Upwork-posted materials are technically accurate. This page and the pages that it links to say the same things that I have been saying.

It is all about these two sentences:
If a deliverable isn’t what you expected, payment is not released. The work is returned to the freelancer and you communicate the changes that need to be made.

Unfortunately, some clients only read the first and refuse to pay.

I agree.

I think that this and similar Upwork-provided resources give clients an incorrect idea about how the system is meant to be used.

Preston H wrote:

I agree.

I think that this and similar Upwork-provided resources give clients an incorrect idea about how the system is meant to be used.

Sorry, perhaps I'm not explaining myself very well, but I think that there are situations in which a client saying that they don't "like" something is totally legit. (Sorry OP, this discussion isn't intended as a reflection on your own work.) Preston, I've seen you use the argument that if a client requests a drawing of a cat and the designer sends them a drawing of a cat, then the client must pay for it. But it's not that simple. What is the drawing being used for, who is the target market, what are the client's style preferences? Some designers don't take the trouble to find out (or a client is unable to answer these questions), and that's when projects go wrong. A designer can't just draw any old cat and expect to get paid. If a client wants, say, a scary cat to go on a package of Halloween candy or a sophisticated cat to go on a wine label, but instead, the designer draws a happy, doodly cat more suited to a children's birthday party invitation, then the designer hasn't fulfilled the brief and the client would be within their rights to say that they don't "like" it, and request a refund. (IMHO.)

It sounds to me (from posts that you've written in the past) that your own method is to hire a bunch of cheap designers, get a random bunch of cat drawings and then pick the one that you like best, but trust me, that is NOT how most projects work, and the client's likes and dislikes DO matter.

re: "It sounds to me (from posts that you've written in the past) that your own method is to hire a bunch of cheap designers, get a random bunch of cat drawings and then pick the one that you like best, but trust me, that is NOT how most projects work, and the client's likes and dislikes DO matter."

This is not how I personally work.

But there have been times where I have pointed out various options that are available to clients. And whether it is in art or other job niches, one option available to clients IS to hire lower-cost freelancers. I have pointed out that hiring one low-cost freelancer may not yield the results a client is looking for, and hiring multiple such freelancers increases the chance of receiving usable work. This is just math.

If you have seen some of the artwork I have personally commissioned using Upwork (I have posted much of it in the Forum), then you have seen that it is not random nor is it the work of cheap designers.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 11.06.05 AM.png

If you will look at what I have written, I have never said that a client is obligated to pay for work regardless of what the freelancer provides. So if a freelancer draws a happy cat but the agreement was to draw a sad cat, I would not say that the freelancer has completed the work.

My contention here is that if a freelancer draws a happy cat, and the agreement was to draw a happy cat, then it is Upwork's intention that the freelancer get paid for her work. Because she fulfilled the specified requirements.

Clients always have the opportunity to "request changes." That is how the Upwork user interface works.

But if a freelancer does the work, then it is Upwork's intention that they get paid for the work.

It is not Upwork's intention, nor is it the intended use of escrow, for a client to hire a freelancer to do a task, then receive the work, and then claim to not like it and thus get a refund.

The point that gets lost in discussions like this is that is the clients who get hurt the most by the idea that they can request a refund for work they claim not to like.

At the end of the day, clients have the right to choose not to pay and go to dispute.

Only around 3 % of contracts end in disputes, so it's not soething that happens all the time, but they are given the choice, it IS intended that they have that choice, and to constantly pretend otherwise is pointless.

In an ideal world all freelancers would do fabulous work and all clients would pay for all work, however cr*ppy it is,

Unfortunately we are not living in an ideal world, there are bad freelancers and unresonable clients and disputes are designed to help resolve such situations.

For the record: I actually do not agree that clients should pay for god-awful work.

(NOT for a second suggesting the OP did poor work. I am just saying that disputes are here for a reason and to pretend otherwise is doing nobody any good at all!)

Petra, How do you know "Only around 3 % of contracts end in disputes."?

Will L wrote:

Petra, How do you know "Only around 3 % of contracts end in disputes."?

Because Upwork says so. It was stated in the thread where the head of the Dispute Department came along to clarify some points.

Hi All,

A few posts here have been removed as they were off topic. Please, refrain from making personal attacks and keep the conversation professional even if you disagree. Community Guidelines apply to all sections of the Community, even the Coffee Break.

Also, to spare you all time, here is the post by Jennifer who manages Dispute Team here at Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork

That must have been an interesting conversation, Petra.

Sorry I missed it.

Here is something that everybody can agree on:

When a client hires a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, and the freelancer submits her work, the client has a button that he can use to "request changes."

This IS an option.

And we know that Upwork's software has no way of evaluating the work that the freelancer submitted.

So there is something "subjective" about the process. The client himself must make a decision about that freelancer's work.

Some questions that have been raised, and which I think remain points of disagreement, are:

Should the client pay for the work if he doesn't like it?

Should the client pay for the work if he claims that he doesn't like it?

Should the client pay for work that is awful?

Should the client pay for work that he can't use? Or that he no longer plans to use?

These questions have been discussed in many threads in the Forum.

Ultimately, there is a much that is subjective in these questions.

What if a freelancer was hired to create a custom illustration for a client, and she posted the illustration here in the Forum, along with the original written fixesd-price agreement? What if we all looked at that illustration and said: "That is stunning. That is beautiful work. That exactly fulfills the written task description."

But what if the client says he doesn't like it? This is an illustration that the client is supposed to pay $25 for. But he is refusing to pay.

What if the amount was $250?

What if the client has a history of commissioning work and then not paying for it, by manipulating the freelancer, giving horrible feedback in order to get a refund, filing disputes, etc.?

The specifics of any situation might influence how we feel about the general questions of whether or not a client should pay for work he doesn't like.

But let's talk about work that is awful... Work that we can look at and all agree that it is awful.

This question can be asked:

Should a client be required to pay for awful work?

Let's put aside that question, because I don't think that can be settled here.

Upwork's documentation does not provide us with a clearcut answer to that question. Upwork's documentation states that a client may request changes. That's what the user interface provides. There is no specific button for on the client side that allows the client to identify work as awful, and therefore not subject to being paid for. There is simply a way for a client to "request changes" or request a refund.

We can put aside the question of if a client should be required to pay for awful work. Instead, let's pose the question:

If a client is looking out for his own interests, and doing what is best for himself, should he pay for awful work?

What if the client came to Upwork thinking he can get some work done really cheap, and he hires a freelancer to create a corporate logo for his company, for $25?

And what if that work is awful?

Should the client continue to ask that freelancer for changes, until the freelancer provides him what he needs? At what point does the client become a mentor or teacher to the freelancer? At what point is the client just wasting his valuable time?

Maybe the client should not be "required" to pay for the awful logo. But that is different than saying the client "should" pay for the awful logo. If that client is working for my company, and I'm paying that client a significant salary, which translates to a significant amount of dollars per hour... Then I definitely don't want that person wasting time with a cheap freelancer, trying to get work out of her that - realistically speaking - is never going to happen. I would tell him to just release the $25 and stop wasting his time. I would tell him to hire somebody who can actually provide us with the work that we need. And yes, maybe I would tell him to hire a number of freelancers and then pay them all and then let me see what they sent us. Because this logo... it is going to represent our company. It is important. I am far more interested in getting the result I need for my company than spending time trying to avoid paying some freelancer I've never met because she doesn't deserve it.

This example is typical of many situations we see described in the Forum.

But there is another type of situation: What if it wasn't $25?

What if the client has put up $1000 for an escrow task, and what if the client legitimately feels that the work is awful?

This is where the concepts of "refunds" and "payment protection" for clients are potentially the most harmful.

This is where I am most critical of the idea of clients getting a refund or not paying for work they say they don't like.

We really do see situations like this. And this is where I think my positions about fixed-price contracts and refunds would be most helpful to clients:

Don't assume you can get any money back when you fund escrow. Don't think that you can click a magic reset button because the freelancer provided you with files you can't use.

Because utlimately, there is no such magic reset button. There is a button to REQUEST a refund. That doesn't guarantee a refund. And for a $1000 payday? A freelancer may just take this all the way to arbitration, in which case a client is likely to lose, and not get ANY money back.

That is why I say it is better for a client to understand that if a freelancer does the specified task, it is Upwork's intention that the escrow money goes to the freelancer.

If that $1000 is too much to risk on a complete stranger, then the client can hire that freelancer to only do the first part of the project. For $50. And then see if the work is on track. If it is, then do another milestone task, for $100. And keep going like that.

But if the first task is for $50, and it is a awful?

Then the WORST thing that can happen is the client never gets $50 back, and can't use the work. That's a much better situation to be in than having paid $1000 and having no way to get that money back.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members