Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pety Ialimijoro R Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
1 of 15

Hello, 

I am having a fixed hour open contract and the due date is set to Monday 27 August 2018, the problem is that my client has a very poor communication, sometimes it takes 2 days for him to respond to my question and then he disappeared again.

Will my Job Score Success get hurt if we end the contract after that due date? Should I end the contract or what should I do? The problem is that most of the times, I see he is online but he doesn't respond. 

Thanks for your help

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
2 of 15

Pety, initially I would contact him while he's online and state you appreciate he's online as you have an important question that needs his response before you can proceed with his project...

Personally I've always made a practice of obtaining Clients' emails and telephone #'s so I have multiple contact options.  This has worked well for me, but I realize differences may exist with other Freelancers as a result of their areas of expertise and/or preferences.  

Ace Contributor
3 of 15

Thank you for your advice, I'll do this in future but for now, what should I do? The project is already done and I'm just waiting for his approvement, I just want to avoid any damage to my Job Score Success

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 15

Pety, I didn't know you'd completed the project; I thought you had a question you needed to ask him.  Since it's completed, you could contact him and state you appreciate that he's online and wanted to assure he received what you sent him...

I'd suggest you not close the contract; it's always best when Clients do so.  At that point they must give Feedback.    

Ace Contributor
5 of 15

Okay, I've already sent a message informing that I'm waiting for his last review about the work I did. Thank you for your help, really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Sheila G Member Since: Aug 25, 2018
6 of 15

Pat:

Is it not against the Odesk regulations to ask for the client's info? Don't we need to wait until they offer it?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 15

re: "Is it not against the Odesk regulations to ask for the client's info? Don't we need to wait until they offer it?"

Upwork has no rule about asking or not asking for a client's contact information.

But personally, I find it annoying if I hire a freelancer to do work for me, and really don't need any form of communication other than the Upwork messenger tool, and the client asks for my Skype address.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 15

Preston H wrote:

But personally, I find it annoying if I hire a freelancer to do work for me, and really don't need any form of communication other than the Upwork messenger tool, and the client asks for my Skype address.

Really? Considering how frequently Upwork messages malfunction or are down altogether you actually find it "annoying" when someone has the very basic common sense to ask for an alternative means to contact?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 15

To answer your actual question

Pety Ialimijoro R wrote:

Will my Job Score Success get hurt if we end the contract after that due date? Should I end the contract or what should I do? T

No it will not. As long as some money was paid on the contract it does not matter if the client never talks to you again as long as he lives.

Just leave t be and for heaven's sake, do not hound the client.

If you have submitted the work through the Submit work and request payment function if fixed, or tracked your time properly if hourly, you're fine.

Community Guru
10 of 15

Thank you Petra for your additional elaboration in response to Pety's question.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS