🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unresponsive client
Page options
bluesilence12
Community Member

Unresponsive client

Hi,
I have been working with this client on a milestone basis. I have submitted the first part of the job and she said she loved it and asked for some more changes. But after that became unresponsive. I haven’t completed the project and the final files are not released. I’d like to know what I need to do at this stage?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Sara,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. In some cases, you may also reach out to Upwork to contact the client on your behalf.

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

225 REPLIES 225
wescowley
Community Member

If you haven't done so, use the submit work button on the contract page to turn in your work. Even if the client doesn't respond, the escrow on the milestone will be released to you in 2 weeks. If you've already clicked it, don't do it again, that will reset the clock.

I am in same situation job is done but i didnt submitted because my client does not answer my last 4 messages in a month. I will submit it but i dont want my client to give me less than 5 star to decrease my reputation since it is important for credibilty especially at first times

colettelewis
Community Member

Sara S wrote:
Hi,
I have been working with this client on a milestone basis. I have submitted the first part of the job and she said she loved it and asked for some more changes. But after that became unresponsive. I haven’t completed the project and the final files are not released. I’d like to know what I need to do at this stage?

However, on the first milestone,  if the client pressed 'request changes' and you did those changes, I think you have to submit for payment again on the first milestone. Also check that your client has not changed the amount in escrow. 

If you have already submitted the corrections and asked again for payment to be released, the client has 14 days in which to respond, after which Upwork intervenes and you will be paid automatically.  

I think I am right about resubmitting revisions (it is not at all clear in the help pages) but I hope someone else will post to confirm. 

I support this reply

NikolaS

Hi Sara,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. In some cases, you may also reach out to Upwork to contact the client on your behalf.

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Sara,

Nikola, 

With respect, it would not be a good idea to send completed files before the second milestone has been funded. If the OP does this, it is likely that she will not be paid.   

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for bringing this up. I would like to clarify that I was referring to submitting the work (or revised work) for the funded milestone. In general, it is best to submit the last funded milestone before ending the contract. That way freelancer will receive funds for the work they have agreed to do.

I agree that the freelancer shouldn’t be submitting work for milestones that haven’t been funded yet.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks everyone. I might have to clarify this a bit further.
I was supposed to design a logo for this client. I did the work and send
her my logo presentation in a pdf format. So she doesn’t have access to
editable final files. She was supposed to get back to me and choose one of
the logos so we can proceed. She said she likes one of them and want some
changes. I asked what changes and she became unresponsive at thus point. So
I don’t know what I need to do.

re: "So I don’t know what I need to do."

Here is what you do:

You were hired using a fixed-price contract to do a specific task.

A specific amount of money was set aside for you to do that task.

You are supposed to do the task, and then you click the "Submit Work for Payment" button. While clicking the button, you provide the complete, usable files to the client.

If the client does nothing, that is FINE.

If the client does nothing, then you will receive all of the money in esrow automatically.

When I do fixed-price tasks, I know when I have completed the task. I immediately use the Submit button. I never ask the client if the task is done. I never ask the client to approve the work before I click the Submit button. That's what the Submit button does automatically: It asks the client to approve the work.

Thanks for the response. I understand your point. However, this was a logo
design which she was supposed to choose one out of three concepts. How can
I submit the final files when she hasn’t confirmed which one with what
changes she is looking for?

It sounds like communication with the client is required in order for you to complete the specified task. That is never the case for me. I always design milestones in a way that requires zero communication. That way I never get stuck as you have become stuck.

What you should have done is set up two milestones, with communication taking place BETWEEN the milestones.

What do you do now?

If the first/current design explicitly stipulates that you will present preliminary designs AND get client approval for one of them AND do final work on one of them, ALL for the money found in the first milestone escrow payment

Then:

Click the Submit Work for Payment button, but edit the amount to be released to be 50% of the money in escrow.

If the first/current milestone is specifically meant only for the preliminary designs, which you have now completed, then send those files to the client using the Submit Work for Payment button, and don't edit the amount. Collect the full amount now in escrow.

Sara S wrote:
Thanks for the response. I understand your point. However, this was a logo
design which she was supposed to choose one out of three concepts. How can
I submit the final files when she hasn’t confirmed which one with what
changes she is looking for?

I structure logo projects like this: First milestone - submission of initial concepts (75% of project total due); second milestone - revisions to chosen concept (15% due); third milestone - finalize and provide files (10% due). If the client disappears after any of these stages, it doesn't matter; I'll get paid for the work that I've done.

Of course, this doesn't help you in your current situation, but may help in the future. How many days/weeks has it been since you heard from the client?

Ugh, just noticed that I was responding to a post from June 2021. I hate the new forum set-up!

aad828d0
Community Member

Will the money be realease to available or still pass through the pending and how many days does the money going to use if it pass through pending

Hi Praise,

Once the funds in escrow are released they will go through a five-day security period, and they will show on the "Pending" tab during that time. Once that security period ends, your funds will be available for withdrawal. You can learn more in this help article

~ Luiggi
Upwork
rubielena1982
Community Member

Hello! I'm new here at upwork and got my first contract and started working om the proyect but since 2 days ago my employer doesn't answer my messages... What can I do in order to know what's happening ?

Hi Rubi,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. You can find more information on this here.

~Andrea
Upwork

Two days isn't very long.

If you are working for a client and you don't hear from the client for 2 days, it doesn't mean anything.

If you have not finished doing all of the work that you were asked to do, then keep working.

If you have completed all of your assigned tasks and reported completion to the client, then simply wait.

After you sent your final progress report, don't send messages to the client asking what is going on.

The client knows where you are and will contact you when he has additional questions or instructions.

If a month or two months go by and you have not heard from the client, then go ahead and close the contract yourself.

Rubi, Preston already gave solid advice.

Just asking here what your actual concern might be. What do you think you should know about "what's happening?"

Most likely, the client is busy running a business so nothing unusual is happening. Unless you're watching the movie The Happening. Then, there would be plenty of happenings. 🤪

Hi Mikko !   Thanks for all your support, I appreciate it....  by the way , they already answered to me,  so, problem solved,  no panic haha, sorry but I didn´t know how the process could be, but now I know.  Thanks again.

9f22c812
Community Member

Hello community,

I am relatively new to upwork, and I just landed my first hourly contract; however, it's been 14 days since my client showed up or responded.  The job is supposed to be a long term (40 hours/week is the limit) contract where I summarise his website's articles into bite-size reddit posts. In our last conversation, he asked me to work for 5 hours that day and see how it goes. I sent him the completed batch of work and he did not reply or show up since then. I've worked 8 hours so far and I don't know whether I am supposed to continue doing what I was hired for or just.. do nothing. I have sent a follow up message few days ago saying "Hello, I noticed that you've been away for a while. I hope everything is fine!" which I now regret (the exclamation at the end feels awkward Man Indifferent). I would love to know what you think.

Also, since I am new, I don't know whether my profile is good enough to stand out in such a crowded marketplace. I would appreciate any advice on how to improve it. 

Thanks!

Lemya:

If the client asked you to do something, and you have done it, and notified the client that you have done it, and you have provided the work, then you are done.

Now you wait.

If you have NOT YET finished doing the work that the client asked you to do, then continue working on the assigned tasks until you finish.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

Q. Is a client obligated to respond?

A. No.

Q. What does it mean if 40 hours/per week is the limit?

A. It means nothing. That is the default value. It just means the client didn't change it.

Q. Does it mean that the client wants me to work 40 hours each week?

A. No.

Q. What if the client promised me a certain number of hours each week for long term work?

A. That doesn't mean anything. Promises don't count.

Q. How often should I send messages to the client?

A. Only once. Then wait.

Q. If the client asked me to do something on a regular basis, each week, but doesn't respond when I send him files or messages, should I continue doing the task?

A. Yes. Because that is what you were hired to do.

Q. But the client doesn't respond.

A. The client doesn't need to respond. If the client told you to write a 500-word article about cats EACH week, then that is what you should do. Even if there was only one instance in which the client gave you those instructions, and the client opened up an hourly contract for you to use while researching and writing these articles... then keep doing it until the client tells you to stop.

Q. But how do I know that the cilent wants me to continue donig this weekly task?

A. You know that the client wants you to continue doing this weekly task because of these three reasons:

a) That's what the client asked you to do

b) The client has not told you to stop

c) Every week the client keeps paying you

Q. What is a great sign of approval completely separate from a message or note?

A. Money that the client continues paying you every week..

I disagree that you should just keep working. The client may have set the weekly limit to 40 hours, but then he specifically told you to only work for 5 hours initially. I don't think it's safe to assume that total silence means that he wants you to keep going; I would assume the opposite. I wouldn't do any more work until he responds to your message.

Also, did you track your time properly, using the Upwork app with a description of what you were working on?

re: "I disagree that you should just keep working. The client may have..."

I was speaking generally, and not about the freelancer's specific situation.

I don't know what was said between this specific client and freelancer, and I don't know what the freelancer should do in this situation. So I mentioned some concepts and ideas and hypotheticals that relate to the situation.

Thank you Preston for your thorough reply. I understand that there's nothing I should/can do in this case. At least I was paid for the hours I worked. 

Would you mind reviewing my profile? I would love to know if it looks like a freelancer's profile that you would hire.

Not sure if I can view it.

Is your profile public?

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.13.13 AM.png

Oh it was set to only upwork users. It is public now.

Hi Lemya

Your profile is Not Public, you need to change it to Public, to become visible to forum members.

Regarding your situation with the client, it's not rare that some client gets silent for many days, even weeks and this can happen for multiple reasons.

As Preston said, if there is no more work to do, you would better avoid charging any additional hours, especially when the client clearly asked you to work for 5 hours and review. The 40 hours/week means nothing at all in this case, just ignore it

Regards

Thank you Ioannis. It's settled now that I should just ignore it.

My profile is now public. I just realised it was set to only upwork users.

Lemya M wrote:

Thank you Ioannis. It's settled now that I should just ignore it.

My profile is now public. I just realised it was set to only upwork users.

Your profile is still Not Public

Can you please confirm that the change to Public was applied in your profile? I think the change has immediate effect, so it should be visible now

It was set to public immediately! 

hello commnuity
I am a new freelancer here. I have a issue 

My client is not response for some days. I  have completed his job and sent him full source code

How can solve it?

petra_r
Community Member

Georgi V wrote:

My client is not response for some days. I  have completed his job and sent him full source code

How can solve it?

So what is the problem?

If it is an hourly contract, and you have correctly tracked your hours, you get paid automatically.

If it is a properly funded fixed price contract and you submitted the work correctly through the "submit for payment" function on the contract, you also get paid automatically unless the client requests changes.

PS, when you copy someone else's profile overview, you should remove parts that don't apply to you, such as "I am a top rated...." (because you are not top rated.)

32daff9f
Community Member

thanks for your support, Petra

I have a fixed job 

petra_r
Community Member

Georgi V wrote:

I have a fixed job 

So did you submit the work through the official "Submit for payment" function on the contract?

Thank you Christine. Yes, I tracked and memo'ed my hours and they all show mid to high levels of activity. The diary was reviewed, and I was paid all while the client is still absent. I guess this means that I shouldn't care if the client shows up. I was hoping that I would at least get a rating or a feedback since I still have only one. 

On a side note, would you please review my profile? I appreciate any feedback on how I can improve it.

Hi Lemya

It's not my field, but as a general notice, I would say that your profile looks decent enough. 

Try to apply to as many jobs as possible, even some tiny ones, in order to increase your jobs/hours/money-paid history, which will help you look more experienced

Hello Ioannis, thank you for your feedback. It's very nice of you. 

I will be a optimistic and persistent as possible. All the best wishes to you.

Lemya M wrote:

Hello Ioannis, thank you for your feedback. It's very nice of you. 

I will be a optimistic and persistent as possible. All the best wishes to you.

Lemya, I took a look at your profile too, and I think it's pretty strong. My only concern is that your hourly rate seems low for your competency level. That may just be your starting rate to get in the door. I can understand that. You might want to test different rates (even higher rates). Sometimes clients won't take you seriously if you charge too little. 

Keep chugging away. You will get more work as you go, just keep at it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths