cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client

joanwords
John B Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
1 of 6

I need help on a contract I got. It's an easy task, take a PDF file, convert it to a Word file, format and then deliver.

However, since I accepted the offer and asked the client to share the PDF file so I can convert it, he hasn't responded to any of my messages. 

This is the 5th day and this will be due tomorrow, how do I get past this? I understannd that ending a contract "unsucessfully", no matter the reason would lead to a drop in my JSS.

How do I get past this then? Leave it to be "late" while I wait for him to share the file? Or end the contract? Or is there another option I am not considering?

Need help

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

John, you made a mistake.

I never accept a fixed-price contract until I have all of the information and input files necessary to complete the project.

I always get paid, no matter what the client does, whether or not the client is communicating regularly with me, or disappears completely and permanently.

Why did you accept the contract without receiving the file first? What if it was a 1000-page PDF file containing scanned images of handwritten doctors notes, and you had to type them I to a Word document? I don't agree to work on fixed-price contracts until I can see what I'm getting into.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6

As for what you do now... Do nothing.

The deadline does not actually affect JSS. It has no actual effect on anything, it is there for reference. Under normal circumstances if you blow off the deadline and turn in work late, the on,y effect is if the client herself is upset by that (she may well be) and subsequently gives you poorer feedback because of the missed deadline. But in your case, the client hasn't provided you with the file you need, so presumably that problem won't apply here.

If the client sends you the file, do the work. If he doesn't send you anything, there is nothing you can do.

Eventually the contract will automatically be closed by Upwork.

Hopefully you'll hear from the client before then.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 6

John - Did the client fund escrow?

joanwords
5 of 6

Yes, he funded the full amount for the contract

joanwords
6 of 6

Thank you Preston,

He was pretty detailed in his description, 25 clear typed pages and 2 tables which I'll have to re-do, there was no mention of images of handwritten doctors notes thankfully.

I'll just let it run then. Thanks, I almost panicked and ended it as I felt it would have an effect on my JSS if it gets late.

As it is, I'll wait for him, hopefully, he'll come back soon.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS