Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client

da_alonewalker
Ace Contributor
Tousif A Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
1 of 12

Hello, I was hired as a research assistant last month. The deal was to reference some articles for a video. The client assigned me the first assignment and I delivered the task the next day. She said she will check that later. But it has been 12 days since then and I did not get any reply or any instruction from her yet.

I tried to reach her by message but she is completely unresponsive even though she was online.  In addition, the contract deadline has passed 5 days ago. What should I do now?

I have checked client's history with previous assistants and it seems that she always had issues with her previous assistants.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 12

Did you click the submit button when you gave her the work? If so, Upwork will automatically release the funds within 14 days. If not....resubmit and click that button! I am assuming this is a fixed price contract?

If not a fixed price contract and you used the Upwork App to track time, the client pays on Monday and you receive your money after the countdown starts.

claudiastefanoiu
Ace Contributor
Claudia S Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
3 of 12

Was it a fixed job? If yes, is Escrow funded? If Escrow was funded, just submit the work through the button from My Jobs page and then wait for 14 days for the payment to be released to you (if the client does not get back to you earlier).

If an hourly job and you used the Tracker, just wait for the money to reach the available status.

After the payment has been made, I would just announce the client that if there are no further requests, I will place the job on complete.

da_alonewalker
Ace Contributor
4 of 12

Thanks for your response. 

It is an hourly job. unfortunately, I could not track the time because upwork was done for maintenance and I did the referencing in an MS word file. Later I sent it via message.

Now I don't want to continue the contract anymore. Because her previous work history with other assistants is pretty bad. So, I don't want her to leave any feedback. I have maintained good reviews so far and I don't want to denigrate that.

If I end the contract now without taking any payment, will she still be able to leave a feedback?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 12

Well, you made a mess of this from start to finish.

The time to research the client's history is before accepting a contract.

Hourly contracts have to be tracked.

The client will not be able to leave public feedback if nothing was paid, but their private feedback will affect your Job Success Score when you get one (probably at the next update), and knock it significantly.

da_alonewalker
Ace Contributor
6 of 12

Yeah, I understand. I should have been more careful before signing the contract. Do you have any suggestion now? What could be the best solution to get out of this mess?

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 12

Is the work completed?

da_alonewalker
Ace Contributor
8 of 12

No, the job was for 5hrs. I did it for an hour and she never replied.

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 12

@Tousif A wrote:

No, the job was for 5hrs. I did it for an hour and she never replied.

You never logged any time so you essentially didn't do it "for an hour"

Have you done all the task(s) you were asked to do?

da_alonewalker
Ace Contributor
10 of 12

Yes, I did. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS