🐈 Community

Unresponsive client

Hi everyone,

I posted this already, but it seems to me that Upwork keeps deleting my post for some reason.

I have a contract with a client, fixed price, one milestone. The job was supposed to last briefly, one week since it was very simple, but the client was very, very slow with giving feedback and answering messages. He gave me one correction, on which I worked on, promised me that he would pay me and that he will have more jobs for me in the future. Then he stopped answering my messages whatsoever. I requested a milestone to be approved, but again, silence. What is my next step, and is there a way to end this without forfeiting the funds I could have earned?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The milestone was funded, but not released, at least not by the client. It was agreed to be released after the first drafts, which was done, but the client is not releasing the funds, escrow will do it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

My first client seems to fit the description that you mentioned.  He rarely "spoke" but I kept on working until he finally approved my work. The second project that he engaged me with made me earn my first bonus payment here at Upwork.

Well, I don`t think I`ll be that lucky 🙂

He just stopped communicating altogether.

I am on the edge of ending the contract and leaving a very bad review, but I`ll still wait for the milestone to be automatically approved, and then i`ll probably file a disputa if it`s possible. 

If there`s anyone with a similar experience, it would be great to hear what they did in this situation.

@Milena G wrote:

He just stopped communicating altogether.

I am on the edge of ending the contract and leaving a very bad review, but I`ll still wait for the milestone to be automatically approved, and then i`ll probably file a disputa if it`s possible. 

Why do you want to leave a bad feedback and what do you want to dispute?

Two hypotheses:

The work done was covered by a funded milestone. It will be released 14 days after the submission. Clients may trigger the release before the 14 days but they are not obliged to do so. There is nothing to dispute.

As for the bad review, it's OK for a client to be unresponsive as long as they pay you. They are not obligated to give you more work or more money or even to talk with you. You do the job, they pay for it, and that's it

The work done was not covered by a funded milestone but if it was only based on a promise that you'll be paid. It's OK. Just close the job and never work again without using the payment protections that are offered by Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I would leave a bad feedback because I sent an almost finished design which he can use right now, yet he stopped answering my messages, and not paying. The final payment was not just based on his promise, but on an Upwork contract, which he is not fullfilling. The milestone to be automatically released, and not by him, is 5$, which is far less than the agreed final payment. I think it is very unprofessional since I was counting on this job and the payment. He got what he needed, and I did not, and that is my reason to end the the contract or submit a dispute.

@Milena G wrote:
@Milena, there is a discrepancy here. First you wrote:

> The final payment was not just based on his promise,

But then you added: 

> The milestone to be automatically released, and not by him, is 5$, which is far less than the agreed final payment. 

So yes, you worked on a promise, without being covered by a properly funded milestone. Basically you trusted this person with a promise to pay you more than what was funded, and you ended up scammed.

Yes, you can leave an accurate feedback to this client and no, you should not raise a dispute because there is nothing that Upwork can do.

What Upwork do is it offers payment protection, such as the escrow system. You choose not to take advantage of this system and it was an unfortunate decision if you ask me. Next time, when working on fixed-rate contracts, do exactly what Upwork suggest : wait for the milestone to be 100% funded prior to start working.

You should check this post : Getting Started on Upwork, it may prove helpful in the future.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

The milestone was funded, but not released, at least not by the client. It was agreed to be released after the first drafts, which was done, but the client is not releasing the funds, escrow will do it.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Milena,

I believe what Rene is saying is that you shouldn't start working on a milestone without it being funded.

You are correct, the first milestone was funded and, unless the client requests revisions or releases it earlier, it will be released to you automatically 14 days after you requested it. However, payment for the work you've done beyond the scope of the first milestone is not covered by Upwork Fixed-Price Protection.

~ Valeria
Upwork

inb4 "but he was so nice and trustworthy and we should trust random strangers on the internets" lol

kat303

@Milena G wrote:

Hi everyone,

I posted this already, but it seems to me that Upwork keeps deleting my post for some reason.

I have a contract with a client, fixed price, one milestone. The job was supposed to last briefly, one week since it was very simple, but the client was very, very slow with giving feedback and answering messages. He gave me one correction, on which I worked on, promised me that he would pay me and that he will have more jobs for me in the future. Then he stopped answering my messages whatsoever. I requested a milestone to be approved, but again, silence. What is my next step, and is there a way to end this without forfeiting the funds I could have earned?

Thanks!

Before starting work, always make sure that the job or each milestone (as they come up) is FULLY funded . Businesses do not succeed on promises especially from strangers on the internet.

No matter what's on the contract (price to be paid to you) whatever is in escrow is what you will receive. If you've submitted a proposal for $100 and it was accepted, and the client then deposited $1 into escrow with promises that when they receive the work, they will pay you the rest and when you send in the work, they disappear. In 14 days, you will receive $1 because that's all that's in escrow.

If's your responsibility to make sure everything is in place before starting work. You asked what's your next step. Your next step is to close this job, Leave whatever feedback you want, and look for other jobs.

I'm also had trouble same as you Milena... my client silent after I had finished my final projects and did'nt reply any of my message.I checked based on upwork policy told that payment will execute after 14 days.I hope that will happen...

@Mohd Firdaus S wrote:

I'm also had trouble same as you Milena... my client silent after I had finished my final projects and did'nt reply any of my message.I checked based on upwork policy told that payment will execute after 14 days.I hope that will happen...

If the client funded escrow, you will automatically get paid in 14 days (with whatever amount is funded)

Hi Mohd Firdaus, 

I checked your contract and can see that the milestone is funded and you submitted work/requested payment 10 days ago. After 14 days, the amount in escrow will be transferred to your account, provided that the client's billing method is verified, and there are no issues with his chosen billing method. 

Here's an article on fixed-price contracts to help you understand how it works. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Upcoming Events
Oct 27
Nov 29