Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Unresponsive client

shile23
Active Member
Nemanja I Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
1 of 11

Hi,

I had a job agreed on 400$ with 2 milestones(each 200$).When i finished the first milestone the client paid the agreed amount but after i finished the second milestone the client became unresponsive.That happened half a year ago.I tried contacting the client multiple times but nothing happens.

Now my question is,can i just close the contract?Will it affect my overall score and if i close it will the client be able to leave a feedback?

Cheers,

Nemanja

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
2 of 11

Hi Nemanja,

 

Was the second milestone funded?

 

Did you use the Submit option for submitting the remaining work?

 

If yes, you should have received your payment.

 

If not, you can keep trying to communicate with the client and hope for the best.

 

You can even ask Customer Support to contact the client.

 

If none of these work, you should close the job yourself otherwise Upwork will close it for you.

 

You have a JSS of 100% and a long string of 5.0s, so the effect if any on your JSS will be minimal.

"Certa bonum certamen"
shile23
Active Member
Nemanja I Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
3 of 11

Hi Ravindra,

Thanks for answering.The second milestone wasnt funded,i dont care about the money i just want to close the contract and hope it wont have any effect on my score.I tried messaging the client,and also Support have sent some messages but with no answer.

You say it would have minimal effect,but i dont want it to have any effect considering that i have done nothing wrong.I shouldnt suffer because the client is unresponsive...

And what did you mean Upwork will close it otherwise?

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
4 of 11

@Nemanja I wrote:

Hi Ravindra,

Thanks for answering.The second milestone wasnt funded,i dont care about the money i just want to close the contract and hope it wont have any effect on my score.I tried messaging the client,and also Support have sent some messages but with no answer.

You say it would have minimal effect,but i dont want it to have any effect considering that i have done nothing wrong.I shouldnt suffer because the client is unresponsive...

And what did you mean Upwork will close it otherwise?


As the second milestone wasn’t funded, there is a rather slim chance of any payment from the client.

 

Upwork closes jobs that have been inactive for a long time (three months, I think).

 

You might as well close the job yourself.

 

"Certa bonum certamen"
shile23
Active Member
Nemanja I Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
5 of 11

But if i close the contract,the client would still have the option to leave a feedback?I am sure the client saw all my messages,she just doesnt want to answer.And if i close the contract that leaves me vulnerable to the client to leave a bad feedback.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
6 of 11

@Nemanja I wrote:

But if i close the contract,the client would still have the option to leave a feedback?I am sure the client saw all my messages,she just doesnt want to answer.And if i close the contract that leaves me vulnerable to the client to leave a bad feedback.


Yes, the client can leave a feedback or respond to your feedback.

 

There’s no easy way out; you have to bite the bullet.

 

However, don’t assume the worst.

 

And if the client does any real damage, you can use the Top Rated Perk: Feedback Removal.

 

"Certa bonum certamen"
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 11

Hi Nemanja,

 

Yes, your client will have the option to leave feedback once you close your contract. I'll just correct the information Ravindra shared and confirm Upwork closed jobs with funds in Escrow after a certain time frame.

 

Please consider closing the contract yourself and going forward make sure not to start working on a Milestone until it's funded for the agreed amount.   

Untitled
ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
8 of 11

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Nemanja,

 

Yes, your client will have the option to leave feedback once you close your contract. I'll just correct the information Ravindra shared and confirm Upwork closed jobs with funds in Escrow after a certain time frame.

 

Please consider closing the contract yourself and going forward make sure not to start working on a Milestone until it's funded for the agreed amount.   


Hi Vladimir,

 

What did I get wrong?

"Certa bonum certamen"
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 11

Hi Ravindra,

 

You stated that "Upwork closes jobs that have been inactive for a long time (three months, I think).", which is correct but only in case a Milestone is funded for the job.

Untitled
ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
10 of 11

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Ravindra,

 

You stated that "Upwork closes jobs that have been inactive for a long time (three months, I think).", which is correct but only in case a Milestone is funded for the job.


Thank you, Vladimir.

 

ETA:

 

This is what caused confusion.

 

I had a job with (apparently) only the first milestone funded.

 

The second milestone was vague.

 

If the second milestone had been funded, I would not have lost $115.

 

Upwork closed that job.

 

Funded_or_Not.png

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS