cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client

alina_pavliv
Active

Hello, my client is absolutely unresponsive, she started contract and never give me a work. I tried to contact her over 2 month now and she simply doesn't answer. Can this unactive contract ruin my JSS? What should I do in this situation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Guru

Alina P wrote:

Hello, my client is absolutely unresponsive, she started contract and never give me a work. I tried to contact her over 2 month now and she simply doesn't answer. Can this unactive contract ruin my JSS? What should I do in this situation?

It is a big tactical mistake to accept a contract before you have what you need to at least start logging time (if hourly) or complete the first miletone (if fixed)

Contracts with no payment (ever) do affect (not "ruin" ) your JSS, whether open (for 2 or 3 months or more) or closed. At this stage there is little you can do. If it does affect your JSS, close it and use your top rated perk to remove the impact of the "nothing paid" contract from your JSS.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Guru

Alina P wrote:

It will have a negative effect on your JSS, because the system counts this as an unhappy client, but "ruining" is a matter of debate. You will not fall below 90% just because of this. 

The lesson it this is that it is very important to accept offers only when you have what you need to start working, or at least some part of it, so that you never end up with a nothing delivered/ no money paid contract again. And yes, you should end it from your side.

Thank you so much for your help. The system would counts this as an unhappy client even if there was no transaction whatsoever? 

I understand this was my mistake but not really my fault. It'll still negatively impact my JSS even when I end this contract, did I get that right? 

Alina P wrote:

Thank you so much for your help. The system would counts this as an unhappy client even if there was no transaction whatsoever? 

I understand this was my mistake but not really my fault. It'll still negatively impact my JSS even when I end this contract, did I get that right? 

I think the client can end the contract from his side and klick on "not longer necessary" or something similar which limits the effect on JSS. An unresponsive client is not likely to do that, though, so you have to end the contract yourself.

It is simply a newbie mistake to get overly excited about receiving an offer, and accepting it immediately before discussing it with the client, receiving files, etc. A more seasoned freelancer evaluates the situation more thoroughly before accepting an offer. You will learn. For example, you will never make this mistake again, right?

Alina P wrote:

1) Thank you so much for your help. The system would counts this as an unhappy client even if there was no transaction whatsoever? 

2) I understand this was my mistake but not really my fault.

3) It'll still negatively impact my JSS even when I end this contract, did I get that right?

1) The system counts it as an unsuccessful contract, not an unhappy client (happiness is not what this platform is for, money is. No money = unsuccessful.)

2) Well, it wasn't anyone else's fault either 😉

3) Yes. Unless the client was since suspended and / or the sort of trouble client whose contracts are excluded.

Was it an hourly or a fixed rate contract, and how long ago did it start? It clearly has not affected your JSS yet...

Martina P wrote:

Alina P wrote:

You will not fall below 90% just because of this. 

With only 4 completed contracts she easily could.

prestonhunter
Community Guru

re: "Hello, my client is absolutely unresponsive, she started contract and never give me a work. I tried to contact her over 2 month now and she simply doesn't answer. Can this unactive contract ruin my JSS? What should I do in this situation?"

Clients are not required to be responsive.

You made numerous mistakes in how you used Upwork.

A contract with zero pay and zero feedback can indeed have a negative impact on your JSS.

In the future, do not accept a fixed-price contract until you have all the information and all the files necessary to complete it. Do not accept an hourly contract until you have enough information necessary in order to do at least ten minutes of work.

What should you do in this situation? Learn from your mistakes and don't make the same mistakes again.

petra_r
Community Guru

Alina P wrote:

It is a big tactical mistake to accept a contract before you have what you need to at least start logging time (if hourly) or complete the first miletone (if fixed)

Contracts with no payment (ever) do affect (not "ruin" ) your JSS, whether open (for 2 or 3 months or more) or closed. At this stage there is little you can do. If it does affect your JSS, close it and use your top rated perk to remove the impact of the "nothing paid" contract from your JSS.

I think I understand this now, thank you 🙂 

I don't think I have ever had a client disappear without sending me any work, although I have had a few clients not follow through after one or two milestones--leaving the contract open for such a long time that I closed it. And, I have lots of clients who didn't leave a review (after I closed the contract rather than waiting for them to do so). 

These factors are less likely to hurt your profile if you have a lot of other contracts with payment and reviews. For a freelancer with a limited history on the platform, accepting an offer to work with someone without having all the details to get started right away is risky. But I understand why you would.

If a client tells me they will want X articles a month and will send me the topics as needed, I don't automatically think "Oh, they are going to disappear and leave me with a bad contract." Unfortunately, if you can't take the hit of a contract that ends without pay, you must think about these factors before hitting accept. 

I wonder if there has been an uptick in clients abandoning contracts in the past several months. And, if it is possible that Upwork will begin treating abandon contracts in a different manner at some point. Yes, good client management involves making sure you have what you need to do the job, but if clients are in the habit of "reserving" several freelancers via contract and then only working with one (or none) I would like to be able to identify those clients. (And, of course, if there is no payment made, there is no review of the client for us to see that they have deserted another freelancer). 

Spoiler
Yes, Tonya, I agree.

It would be nice if Upwork would provide more information about clients behavior on their other contracts with freelancers, including their average public and private ratings, how often they left no feedback on contracts their freelancers had to close and how often then cancelled active contracts with freelancers.

It won't happen, but it would be helpful information in choosing whether to work with a particular client.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS