spiderbyte87

Unresponsive clients and JS score

I have a client who was unresponsive for a month. At the end of the month I submitted the completed work, and then waited another 14 days for excrow to kick in. Now I have a completely paid-for project sitting idle for no reason.

Will it affect my JS score if the client doesn't close the contract at some point? Will it affectmy JS score if I close the contract myself?

15 REPLIES 15
lysis10

Yeah, you don't want open contracts just sitting there. They haven't said how long they have to sit before it starts to negatively impact you. I have one that's been sitting for a little over a month now and it's been paused by Upwork. The client said this month he'll need me, so I'm stuck letting this dead contract stay open unless I want to close it myself and tell him to contact me when he's ready. It hasn't affected me much as far as I can tell, but I assume after the 2 month mark it's probably going to start hitting me.

Personally (and people disagree with this, so make your own decision), I find a lot of people don't close contracts so I'm doing it myself. I'm not big on begging for feedback or closing a contract, so I just do it myself. If anything to keep my job list clean or i'd have a bunch of clutter and won't be able to keep track of what I'm working on.

@Jennifer M wrote:

It hasn't affected me much as far as I can tell, but I assume after the 2 month mark it's probably going to start hitting me.

Think more in the 6-9 month time frame.  I say this because my JSS was set to 100% at the start of November.  It is now 80%, and I've had no new activity to explain any downward change.  So I suspect the reason (if there is a logical reason) is that penalties for idle jobs finally kicked in.

I plan to close them all near the end of the month.  Hopefully they're enough to cause a "pattern of no feedback", and then we'll have some extra data to compare the two sins.

Does anyone know if the Client is sent a message from Upwork, regarding open jobs that need to be closed and send feedback to freelancer, so they in turn can get feedback?

Or, is all up to the freelancer to contact the client and have jobs closed?

@Garnor M wrote:

Here’s more information on how this works:

• After 76 days of inactivity, Upwork will notify clients, advising them to re-engage on their project or mark the project as complete. *Note, we are also evaluating sending a notice to affected freelancers at this point as well.
  • If after one week there has been no activity, we will again notify the clients with the same request.
  • If there is no activity at the 90 day mark, Upwork will close these projects and notify freelancers. At the time of this closure, the client is again notified on the site to leave final ratings.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Closing-Fixed-Price-contracts-with-no-activity/m-p/984...

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

Linda,

Setu's information is of course absolutely correct.

As a further wrinkle, though, JSS demerits start accruing on idle fixed-price contracts on some mystery date before the 90-day autoclosure.

Best,

Michael

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

JSS demerits start accruing on idle fixed-price contracts on some mystery date before the 90-day autoclosure.

Really? Sure?

@Petra R wrote:

JSS demerits start accruing on idle fixed-price contracts on some mystery date before the 90-day autoclosure.

Really? Sure?

Petra,

@Upwork has confirmed several times both the fact of a penalty for idle fixed-price jobs and a refusal to disclose when it kicks in. In effect, they keep us in the dark about what "idle" means—or if you prefer, punish us for transgressions they refuse to define.

Best,

Michael

I don't see any reason to sling mud here. Upwork is a huge organization and experience has taught me that sometimes problems arise systemically that are hard to predict and sometimes even harder to fix. I would like some clarification on this though, as I'm a little worried that idle jobs are going to affect my JSS negatively without my ability to solve the issue myself.

@Aaron H wrote:

I don't see any reason to sling mud here.

I prefer to think of it as casting shade.

@Petra R wrote:

Really? Sure?

Petra,

@Upwork has confirmed several times both the fact of a penalty for idle fixed-price jobs and a refusal to disclose when it kicks in. In effect, they keep us in the dark about what "idle" means—or if you prefer, punish us for transgressions they refuse to define.

Best,

Michael

I have a fixed-price job where there have been no payments or work done on the contract since July. I did send him a message in September so maybe that affects whether the job is deemed idle. He says he'll get back to me eventually with work but I don't want to keep harassing him. I'm fine with letting it sit there. I'll keep an eye on the JSS and see what happens.

Killed off 6 dead contracts so far myself, and invitations are slamming again. yay

I think I remember the mods mentioning something about that. So, I'd be careful about leaving contracts just sitting there especially if you have others going on.

@Setu M wrote:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Closing-Fixed-Price-contracts-with-no-activity/m-p/984...

Keep in mind that this just covers fixed price jobs.  The first job I got here back in January was hourly, and has been sitting idle and open for all those months.

Well that may give you an idea of where the sudden -20% went, even without any new jobs in the same month.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----

@Setu M wrote:
Well that may give you an idea of where the sudden -20% went, even without any new jobs in the same month.

Maybe, but it's all really just guesswork at this point.  Smiley Frustrated  I do have one idle contract that is fixed priced and was around the 90 day mark, too.  It's hard to say what has contributed and to what degree.  It still remains dumb that I'm being penalized at all for successful contracts where clients anticipated future work.

What's frustrating is that you don't really want to close contracts if there is a good chance more work will be done. You close the contract and you're cutting contact with the client and throwing them back to the wolves. They could rehire you, but now there is incentive to post a job in the open market. It's bad business from the provider's side, but this is something I don't think we'll win. Upwork doesn't care, because they get paid regardless.

My contract is advanced SQL queries, and it was for an awesome analytics company. It was nice not writing noob code, and this is great on my portfolio.  And, it's the holidays, so the business side of me thinks I should keep it active at least until mid January.

I'm probably going to eat the hit until January.