🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unresponsive clients
Page options
adelan
Community Member

Unresponsive clients

Hello, guys!
My name is Adela. 

I have a suggestion regarding unresponsive clients. Even if you respect the deadline, the client downloads the translation and then disappears. And then I have to wait for 14 days until the funds are automatically released by Upwork. Could this period of 14 days be shortened? Like Upwork did with the payments for hourly jobs? 

Thank you for your attention!

Best regards,

Adela

4 REPLIES 4
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adela,

Thanks for sharing your suggestion with us. I will share it with the team for review.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Could this period of 14 days be shortened? Like Upwork did with the payments for hourly jobs?"

Well... this IS a different situation. Because shortening payment for hourly work doesn't affect the clients.

Shortening the 14 day automated payment release for fixed-price work is changing things for clients... It means giving them less time to review work.

For me... 14 days is fine. The amount I get paid is the same whether it is after 14 days or after 1 day.

During that time, I am not working on the client's project, and I am not prevented from doing other things. I am working other projects. As a freelancer, if you find that you have a client who doesn't release payment manually and you need to waif 14 days when you work for her, then you may choose not to work for her again in the future.

So some clients have 6 days to examine a translation (if it's an hourly job and you deliver the work on Sunday, receiving the funds on Friday, other clients have 14 days to review the work). Why this diference?

A
petra_r
Community Member

Adela N wrote:
So some clients have 6 days to examine a translation (if it's an hourly job and you deliver the work on Sunday, receiving the funds on Friday, other clients have 14 days to review the work). Why this diference?

Because with hourly contracts, the quality or correctness of the work is irrelevant for dispute purposes, all that matters is the work diary, which takes hardly any time at all to check. So 5 days for the client to check the work diary (NOT the work) is adequate.

With fixed rate contracts the quality and completeness etc of the deliverables determine whether the client is happy to pay or not. Clients may use independent freelancers to check your work or the material is very big and takes a long time to check.

It might be better to thnk of it as a great thing that we get paid automatically at all even when the client vanishes. That was not always the case. When I first started here, there was no escrow and you just had to trust that your client would not vanish without paying you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths